Author Topic: Started a TC Hawken kit  (Read 19913 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Started a TC Hawken kit
« on: January 30, 2017, 07:26:11 pm »
I didn't have any projects after I finished the Renegade so I started on a TC Hawken kit I picked up the other day.

I drilled all the holes for the tang, trigger, trigger guard and barrel wedge plates, always a pain getting them centered just right.

I did a mock-up assembly, everything went went in properly, wood shaping is next.

Offline Parnell

Re: Started a TC Hawken kit
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 08:28:12 pm »
Gonna be fun to watch.
1’—>1’

Offline cryo-magnon-Eric Parker

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 08:47:46 pm »
Looks like it will be a great looking gun when you have it complete.

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 09:59:47 pm »
Good looking start!

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 10:27:57 pm »
Flintlock or percussion?

Also which brand is it and where did you pick it up?

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 10:29:36 pm »
Man those old TC stocks had some pretty walnut. This ought to look real nice when you are done Eric.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 09:10:08 am »
This is a percussion gun, my brother bought the kit for my dad over 30 years ago, he never put it together. The kit has been in dad's basement for years untouched, he is 98 and on a walker so he would have never finished it. My brother found it on a closet clean up and asked me if I wanted it, me being a gun builder and all. Rather than take it for free I sent what I thought it was worth ($300) to my brother to put in dad's always meager bank account. I felt I needed to pay for it, that way if I keep it or sell it no feelings will be hurt.

Stringman

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 09:30:13 am »
Beg your pardon for being forward, but if you're gonna sell, let me know what you need (cash or trade.) I'm awful fond of your workmanship.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 09:46:47 am »
I haven't decided whether to keep it or move it on at this point.

The Renegade I posted in the other thread got a lot of interest locally after I put it on my facebook page. A friend cornered me in Walmart yesterday and said he wanted it, I sold it to him for $15 more than I had in parts, I had around $385 in parts. I had around $200 in the L&R lock which jacked my parts cost way up.

My next kit gun is going to be a Kibler flintlock kit, google it and you will be blown away, the best of the best.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 10:05:27 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 08:38:58 pm »
I haven't decided whether to keep it or move it on at this point.

The Renegade I posted in the other thread got a lot of interest locally after I put it on my facebook page. A friend cornered me in Walmart yesterday and said he wanted it, I sold it to him for $15 more than I had in parts, I had around $385 in parts. I had around $200 in the L&R lock which jacked my parts cost way up.

My next kit gun is going to be a Keibler flintlock kit, google it and you will be blown away, the best of the best.

Them Kiebler elves don't work cheap, considering they live in a tree.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 08:48:39 pm »
I can't wait to see this one.  Love make a Hawkins!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 10:05:47 am »

Next I started removing the excess wood around the lock plate, trigger and tang to get ready for the final wood shaping. I leave about a 32nd of extra wood above the parts to be removed by the final sanding. If I fit the parts perfectly now a final sanding will make them stand proud of the wood which will look sloppy.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 01:22:03 pm »
That really is pretty grain.
1’—>1’

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 11:57:32 pm »
Looking real good!  I did the final finishing one one and it is a good shooter.  Had to go to a peep sight because of old eyes.  Now, I just need to get the hand working right so I can shoot come spring.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 07:07:43 pm »
The kit stock comes with a ton of extra wood, I had seen a reshaped TC stock  done by a master flintlock builder and emailed him to see if he had some pictures of his butt stock from different angles.

He took some for me and sent them to me, I liked the way he shaped his stock and followed his lead.

He had lowered the comb, lengthed the wrist and reshaped the cheek piece, I copied his work.