Author Topic: assembling some spare jukar parts  (Read 7420 times)

Offline Josh B

assembling some spare jukar parts
« on: January 31, 2017, 05:13:48 pm »
I have quite a bit of jukar muzzleloader parts laying around and decided to see what I could put together.  This is a muzzleloading armoury plainsman barrel , standard jukar percussion lock and a stock from something else.  I didn't  have all the parts I need, but I can make what i need.  Here's what I started with.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:41:12 pm by Gun Doc »

Offline Josh B

Re: assembling some spare jukar parts
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 05:16:55 pm »
I got started on the trigger guard today.  Made out of cold rolled flat steel strap.  A lot of work left to do on it, but the shape fits my hand perfect.  Thanks for looking!  Josh

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 05:35:08 pm »
That's looking really good Josh.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 06:31:51 pm »
Looks like a CVA Lock. What do you have Trucker, a machine shop in your sleeper?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cryo-magnon-Eric Parker

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 07:29:38 pm »
I hope my trigger guard turns out that good! Looks great

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 01:51:32 pm »
Looks like a CVA Lock. What do you have Trucker, a machine shop in your sleeper?

Lol!  No machine shop, but a lot more stuff than I should be toting along.  I was at one of our terminals when I shaped that.  Just used the vice, a ball peen and some files to get it this far.  I'm pretty sure it is a CVA lock I picked up somewhere.  Actually I'm pretty sure it is all CVA parts from various rifles.  Most of it is pretty interchangeable.
Thanks fellas!  I wish that I'd had a wider piece of strap to work with so I could of put some nice flares in the trigger guard, but this was close to hand and free. 
Thanks for looking!  Josh

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 04:34:02 pm »
I love the idea of just making things with spare parts. I've been thinking of doing that. Deer Creek has the tang, barrel, double trigger, and lock for the old CVA .32 squirrel rifles so I can get all of those for like $200 and actually make a stock from scratch.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 10:51:03 am »
I've been considering doing that very thing myself.  They do have good prices.  I'm still holding out on finding a longer .32 barrel blank with 7/8 flats that will fit the channel on one of my curly maple stock blanks.  Josh

Offline Josh B

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 08:03:09 pm »
Did some more filing and sanding on the trigger guard today.  It's still got a ways to go though.  Josh

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 09:13:01 pm »
Thats shaping up nice, Doc.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 09:42:32 pm »
That flaming trigger guard looks great Josh!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline chamookman

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 02:57:10 am »
Lookin' good Driver ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 11:05:22 am »
Thanks fellas!  I didn't have much time over the weekend to work on it, but I'll mess with it throughout the week.  I ordered the barrel rib and steel thimbles since I didn't really feel like forging a rib for this rifle.  Eventually I'll replace all the brass with iron furnishings.  I'll make the barrel wedge escutcheons, buttplate and nosecap myself.  I still need a ramrod as well, but that's easy enough.  Once I get all the furnishings acquired/fabricated, I'll strip it all down and refinish everything.  Thanks for following along.  Josh

Offline Parnell

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 01:19:47 pm »
That's very cool, Josh.  I like the way that lock looks.  I'm impressed with your trigger guard and that you just put it together like that on the road.  Look forward to seeing it together.
1’—>1’

Offline Josh B

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 11:30:27 pm »
Thanks Steve!  I don't know who inletted the lock mortise, but I'm hoping I can patch in some slivers and clean that up a bit.  I'm considering going with herters French red stain on the birch.  Anyone tried that before?  I love how it makes walnut pop.  I just don't know how it is on white woods.  Josh