Author Topic: Braintan to the UK  (Read 3522 times)

Offline RatherBinTheWoods

Braintan to the UK
« on: February 01, 2017, 10:51:27 am »
Don't suppose anyone has some off cuts of brain tan they would be willing to send to me here in the UK?
I'm going to have a go at the Kiowa set from the Native American Bows, Arrows and Quivers Vol 2 and need it for the beaded awl case, pouch and firesteel case so would need to be enough for those items

I could use something else but be good for authenticity and it's just not available so here. More than happy to pay the going rate if you have anything suitable.

Cheers

Offline Zuma

Re: Braintan to the UK
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 11:06:55 am »
We are not much into buying and selling here. I would suggest
trying the Trading Post forum. Go to Index- Information and Resources.
Select Trading Post.

Trading Post
I am pretty sure this will work for you.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline RatherBinTheWoods

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 12:58:34 pm »
Apologies, spot the newbie! Thanks for the advice

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 08:53:58 pm »
RatherBin, those classic Kiowa sets are almost all beaded on hard leather, rather than braintan. Common material was the leather from old boot tops, but not exclusively so. If you can get a commercial vegetable tan or bark tan, that works really well. You don't want it heavy, like saddle leather, but thin. Bead, and then oil heavily. I just use mineral oil. The only braintan you will need is for fringe and tie thongs.

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 09:57:04 pm »
Back of Kiowa bag. Not a great photo (I'm on an iPad), but you can see that it is not braintan.

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 09:31:13 am »
Okay, regular computer, better photo. Again, by the time these classic forms of Kiowa bags were being made, most were from commercial leather.

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 09:43:45 am »
Here is another example, but this one is Cheyenne. I like this one because you can see the stitching holes for the pull strap from the boot. Curtis

Offline Morgan

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 12:17:35 pm »
Rather, I don't know anything about the U.K. But here in Oklahoma there are many butcher shops / private slaughter houses where you can get hog brains for real cheap. Probably be cheaper than shipping if you have a option similar. I don't think a frozen brain in a cold storage container would ever enter through U.S. Customs ports, that may be another issue.