Author Topic: setting up my son with his first possibles  (Read 13015 times)

Offline Josh B

setting up my son with his first possibles
« on: February 01, 2017, 02:09:31 pm »
Started up with the powder horn.  I had a cow horn laying around that was too big for a primer horn and too small for a full size powder horn, but I figure it's about right for a little guy.  First I determined how far in the horn the cavity went before solid horn.  Gave myself a couple inches past that towards the tip and sawed off the point.  I then drilled a 3/8" hole into the start of the cavity using best guess and mk1 eyeball to get the hole centered where I wanted.  I then rasped the walls of the horn down to get my taper towards the tip.  I left a little extra meat towards the tip so I could do a little faceting with out cutting through the horn.  I then went to the open end and cut it down to the point where i had a good 1/8" thickness of horn all the way around the base so it would be plenty strong to support the cap.  I chamfered the edge and shaped a piece of ERC to fit snuggly in to the horn with no gaps about 3/8" deep.  Epoxied the cap in and let it cure.  The next day I rough shaped the cap with the scroll saw and had to go to work.  Josh

Offline Josh B

Re: setting up my son with his first possibles
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 02:14:41 pm »
Today I'm unloading in st. Louis and its taking a good while to get pumped off.  Since I'm at a customer and in the city, I decided that working on a rifle probably wouldn't be prudent.  So back to the horn.  Using rasp, file and sand paper I finished shaping the cap and got it to the point of sanding and finish.  Josh

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 02:26:58 pm »
Next I went to the spout end and starting shaping that.  I went with octagonal facets at both ends.  I start by starting the ring where the lanyard will go around the horn to get my starting points for the facets.  I then rasp off four flats trying to keep it as square as possible.  After the four facets are established I rasp off the corners so I have my octagonal facets.  It didn't come out perfect, but I can correct it with sand paper when I get to that point.  I'm trying to decide if I want to do any scrimshaw work on it.  I was thinking maybe a squirrel or something.  A note on the faceted spout, it usually looks more striking if the facets are done in such a way that they are left proud to the body of the horn.  This horn wasn't suited for that so I went simple.  Here's where I left off today.  Josh

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 02:30:43 pm »
That is looking really good Josh
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 04:31:12 pm »
Looking good Josh. Looking forward to following along.   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stoker

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 05:39:50 pm »
Looking good.. He'll love it
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Stoner

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 06:38:26 pm »
Thanks for sharing the build-a-long. I want to make one this year. Great job so far. John

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 07:01:51 pm »
Like it josh cool.....
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 07:03:30 pm »
Your a craftsman ol buddy, sure it's gonna be a gooder. Keep us posted!!
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 10:11:51 pm »
That really looks nice Josh.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 10:20:50 pm »
Keep going, Bud, looks good so far.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 11:33:14 pm »
Horn is looking good. I bet that got some strange looks back in the big city:),  strange folk there in the settlements.  Grew up there, good place to be from - away from :)  young'n will like that, possible bag is next? 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 09:57:06 am »
If you end up making your own possibles bag and do it from a template please post it. I really want to make my own possibles bag but I have no clue where to start and I'd like to build it rather than order it if possible.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 10:36:43 am »
Thanks fellas!  Yep...a bag and ball pouch are coming up.  They will both be scaled down in size like the horn and I don't have any templates.  My leather work is crude but functional at best.  Part of that is because I don't use plans or patterns, but mainly it's because I really don't know what I'm doing.  Lol!  I just sort of wing it and hope for the best.  Thanks again!  Josh

Offline Josh B

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 11:34:59 pm »
I'm slowly gaining on my sons kit.  I've been working on the bag a little here and there this week.  It's starting to take shape finally.  Thanks for looking.  Josh