Author Topic: Small game caliber  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Scott Record

Small game caliber
« on: February 01, 2017, 03:44:40 pm »
I would like to get a squirrel rifle for target shooting and squirrel hunting.  I already have a 50 cal for deer.  I am curious if I would be better off with a .32 or .36?  I know .32 are harder to come by but am only an hour from Dixie gun works.  Does a .32 foul that much worse?  Will a .36 tear up too much meat if I shoot them in the body?  My only experience is with a 50 cal Hawkins.  Thanks

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
Re: Small game caliber
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 04:32:12 pm »
.32 are easier to come by if you're cool with percussion because you can just get the Traditions Crockett kit.

Everyone says .36 is more accurate and easier to clean though.

Offline Scott Record

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 07:33:10 am »
I looked at the crocket last night and found it only $50 more finished versus the kit.  I need to get my hands on one.  Good excuse to go to Dixie Gun works.

Thanks

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 09:54:07 am »
Yeah I've been thinking it over for a while. I've got the CVA Hawken Flintlock I just got firing that I want to completely re-sand and refinish, and I've got a 70s T/C Hawken I picked up at a yard sale that needs some more TLC, but I'd like something in a smaller caliber and the next mass production rifle I can find is the Shenandoah Rifle Kit which is .36 but it's like 500-600 depending on percussion or flint, which is a little high still.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 10:45:31 am »
I've never had a .36 so I don't know what the comparison would be.  Our little .32 hasn't given us any fits about fouling.  Admittedly, I live in a much drier climate here in ks and we primarily use it in late fall and winter when the humidity is at its lowest.  If your worried about tearing up meat just bark em.  When my kids and I go out squirrel hunting, I usually take my .45 Kentucky which would definitely tear them up.  To avoid that I put the ball in the bark right under there chin.  The flying bark pieces does the job and saves the meat.  Josh

Offline Scott Record

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 11:38:01 am »
I'm leaning strongly to the .32.  I don't know that the .36 would do anything the .32 wouldn't and the scout seems like a good value. 

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 12:34:23 pm »
scout? is that a different model from the Crockett?

Traditions also makes a Deerhunter in .32 cal. It's basically a hawken knock off with the .50cal barrel but its .32. It's supposedly a little heavy though, but it's like $244. It's out of stock on EVERY website. I e-mailed Traditions and they said they still make it, but they don't list it on their site either so I think it's a language barrier since they're in Europe. : (

Offline Scott Record

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 02:29:21 pm »
Yes it is different...sorry.  I meant crocket.  The Pedersoli Scout is a fine looking .32 caliber flint lock.  It's $775 though.  I don't need to pick it up as it might come home with me.

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 03:52:37 pm »
awesome!

I won't post the link here but there's a guy that goes by 22 reloader that sells kits to reload 22 ammo and about a year ago he started cnc machining the old "tap a cap" so that you can take either a custom armstrong mix or get the cap gun roll caps and an aluminum can and make your own percussion caps.

You can get the german made roll caps for like $20 per thousand so you could stock up and definitely have as easy a time shooting percussion as flintlock.