Author Topic: barreled shafts  (Read 1804 times)

Offline jeffp51

barreled shafts
« on: February 03, 2017, 12:07:44 am »
I have been working a set of red osier shafts.  to get to my desired spine and length and still fit the 11/32 glue on tips I have, I am finding I have to barrel taper the shafts.  Has anyone else had this experience?  I have to make my shafts at least 30" long to account for my draw, and I am shooting 55# in the bow.  Everything I read says barreled shafts shoot well as a rule, so we will see.  I would love to hear what others think about them.

Offline loon

Re: barreled shafts
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 06:25:47 am »
I think they're better, at least if done well.. they should be lighter for the same spine

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 09:31:47 am »
I use a lot of sourwood for shafting and have a similar situation. I do reduce the forward end enough to accept an 11/32" taper but I wouldn't call it a barrel tapered shaft. A small, cheap thumb plane(got mine from ACE Hardware for about $10) to reduce the forward end.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 01:45:24 pm »
I would describe mine like Pat's. I file tapered shaft of red osier to spine. Then file front 5" or so to get weight matched and right size for my point.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise