Author Topic: Taxus somethingorother  (Read 3890 times)

Offline swotavator

Taxus somethingorother
« on: February 03, 2017, 12:52:21 pm »
Hey all.  I live in NJ, and since I have made a bow or two, I've kept my eye out for local bow woods (i.e. I see an osage every once and a while, and lots of black locust).  So apparently, at some point in the past, yew was a popular landscaping choice in my area.  My guess is "taxus densiformis" based on looking at landscaping sites.  I see them everywhere, and they always look like you, but are always a dense, round bush, rarely higher than chest.

Well imagine my surprise when I see, around the corner from my house, this beast: http://i.imgur.com/qirUDJE.jpg
I am not a botanist, so not really sure what species of yew it is.  All i can tell you is:
-it is undoubtedly yew
-its huge - 40 feet?
-it has quite a few straight sections at least 8-10 inches in diameter.
-there is a place where a branch was cut, and it definitely has the heartwood/sapwood look, with a pretty tight ring count

Now I don't have designs on this specific tree (unless it gets struck by lightning), but I was surprised to find such a large one in an area I expected none.  Here are my questions:
-would this be an untended densiformis, or is there a chance it is another species?
-has anyone made a bow out of densiformis?

Offline Lucasade

Re: Taxus somethingorother
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 02:06:32 pm »
According to t'internet taxus densiformis is formally known as taxus x media 'densiformis' and is a hybrid of taxus baccata and taxus cuspidata, so maybe it's a cuspidata, which is also known as spreading yew so would fit the photo.

Not a clue what sort of bow it would make  :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 03:31:58 am by Lucasade »

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 12:45:23 pm »
I've seen bows made from landscape varieties of yew, it will make a bow for sure.
Best way to find out is go cut a branch! Cheers

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 02:11:01 pm »
I have found some yew trees that were much older than the time period that utilized the hybrids you mention, and suspect that yew has been a popular transplant for a very long time on the east coast.

the english started settling the east coast in the early 1600's, and some interesting things can be seen in the older towns.

Offline swotavator

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 02:05:43 pm »
That makes a lot of sense.  This is a 120 year old house at least.

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 02:10:05 pm »
there might also be some other yews nearby. birds spread the seeds.