Author Topic: Arrow shaft making help  (Read 2071 times)

Offline hicklife1989

Arrow shaft making help
« on: February 08, 2017, 10:18:07 pm »
Hello i am new to traditonal archery would like to make my own arrows want to make them with a thumb plane heard of people using a board and table saw cutting a v shape into the wood for a grove but how deep do you make the v shape

Also what is a good diamitor for hunting arrows and weight how much should spine give bending

And how is the best way to make a hard wood tip not sure what its called to strengthin the front portion of bow

Offline jayman448

Re: Arrow shaft making help
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 02:22:42 am »
diameter doesnt matter really. its all about spine and wood grain and type that wont explode. spine should match your bow for best flight and accuracy. i know next to nothing about footed shafts (im not even sure that's the right word). for a new guy id say the most durable, cheap, easy to work with shaft material would be garden stake cane shafts. ive even found that they will cut with a pipecutter (how i cut my aluminum shafts too)

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 10:01:39 am »
My "V" groove is 1/4"(6mm) deep. Cut at 45 degrees. I bit deeper wouldn't hurt, mine pop out once in a while. You're looking for 3/8" shaft roughly but it's like jayman said.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 10:16:29 am »
Put a stop at the end of your "V" groove. This will help hold the shaft while planing. Be sure it is something that won't hurt the plane blade.
 White pine(most pine), poplar, spruce, fir, black walnut, cherry, hickory or just about any straight grained, well seasoned wood.
 George Tsoukalas has a great section on his website about hand making arrow shafts.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC