Author Topic: Splitting Wedges?  (Read 5267 times)

Offline justsomedude

Splitting Wedges?
« on: February 10, 2017, 01:54:56 pm »
I have a 5# Estwing splitting wedge and a couple of roofer's hatchet heads that I am currently using. The Estwing isn't sharp and it's big. The hatchet heads are sharp and narrow. Any recommendations on medium wedges?  I don't want to ruin my good axes, hatchets and tomahawks by hammering on them.

Offline PatM

Re: Splitting Wedges?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 02:04:37 pm »
Get some railroad spikes.

Offline willie

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 02:06:14 pm »
I dont blame you for not wanting to use an ax for a wedge.

I cut hardwood wedges cut from oak dunnage. Make the skinny end just wide enough to follow the  cheapo-chineese hatchet you use to start the split with.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 02:06:43 pm »
I make wooden wedges (properly called guts), out of Osage or whatever I am splitting. Get the split going with a steel wedge, free the wedge using a glut, then repeat, leaving a glut in place of the wedge each time.

Beat me to it Willie! Maybe a little more detail with both posts. :)
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 02:35:20 pm »
Buy a few steel wedges for 8-10 bucks each and never worry about it again. Whatever you choose, wear glasses/goggles and pants EVERY time you split staves up. You WILL catch shrapnel. 

I start the end split with my axe and sledge, then chase the split the rest of the length with wedges and sledge.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 03:07:21 pm »
I use plastic fallers wedges. A lot of people don't like them but they've worked great for me. Wooden wedges(gluts apparently) work well and you can make them on the spot. Don't have to pack them in or out. Bonus!

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 03:23:58 pm »
I have to say this, because honestly, it surprised me when I tried it out.  I've bought lots of cheap Chinese and Mexican steel splitting wedges.  Once a piece of flying steel cut me right over my eye.  Scared me a lot!!!  I carried the fourth one back to my farm and tractor supply store to complain about the way they broke up, mushroomed out and spit a piece of sharp metal at my legs or forehead.This old guy that works there part time stocking shelves came over and asked to look at the offending wedge and just started shaking his head from side to side.  I asked him what he saw and he told me that he had been a tool designer and machinist before he retired 12 years prior.  He told me that the wedge I brought in was a very cheap Chinese made knock off of an old wedge design he had seen for decades, but that it was just not forged correctly and was made from far inferior steel.  Then he took me to a section of the store where they had all American made farming and professional tools.  The wedges he had there were between twice and four times the cost of the wedges I had bought before, but I have yet to round off an end or shatter either of the two I bought that day.  They are just far superior.  I still have the old cheap ones too, and I use them like people typically use the wooden gluts.  ...but if I'm starting the lines to split out a stave, I always reach for one of the good steel wedges.

I've also made gluts out of Osage and then I shape the heads on them to fit tightly into a two inch diameter copper pipe cap.  Mind I don't drive hard on these.  I just use the maul to set the wedges and walk them down the stave to split it out.  Make sure you cut you gluts WITH the grain of the wood, and I always put the stump end of the wedge toward the head where you hammer against it.  I'm not sure that makes a big difference, but it made sense to me, so I did it that way.

OneBow
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 03:32:13 pm by Onebowonder »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 03:51:59 pm »
Like Pearly said, WEAR EYE PROTECTION when splitting staves.  I had a small piece of a hammer chip off and hit me right between the eyes on the bridge of my nose.  It felt like I had been punched.  I couldn't touch my nose for several days because it was so sore.  If that chunk of metal was a little left or right I would have lost an eye.  Since then I have always wore safety glasses while splitting wood.

Here are my wedges.  I use 2 axe heads to start the splits on the end of the log.  I picked these up at garage sales for a buck each I think.  After that I use various wedges to work the split down the log.  Some of the wedges are shorter and have a flatter angle.  Others are longer with a more blunt edge.  I use them for different types of work.  It just depends on how the split looks before I stick the wedge in.  I use the long chisel to cut the stringers inside of the logs.

One of the axe heads was welded back together when I got it.  I filled the eye with steel rods and welded it up solid. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 03:53:28 pm »
And I use a 4 lb mini sledge to do all of my splitting.  Even on 20" plus osage logs. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline willie

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 04:38:11 pm »
if they are soft enough to mushroom, you might need to dress the head occasional to prevent shards and curls from getting to big.

If it is so hard that it will not mushroom, but just shatters, throw it away.

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 04:58:28 pm »
That's why I like railroad spikes. Not as prone to throwing shrapnel. I've never actually had one do that. They are the modern "antler wedge".   ;)

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 05:28:42 pm »
I have at least 15 good steel wedges of various sizes and tapers but not ONE of them has the least bit of mushrooming, cracks, or spalling on it. That's what breaks off and comes at you like a bullet. I take care of them like I do any other tool. They are sharp, smooth, square headed and slightly rounded around the head edges, and they got touched up and painted last summer. I don't hammer on my axe heads. I keep one cheap, crappy hatchet to hit on, but that seldom happens with so many wedges ready for action.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline justsomedude

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 06:23:21 pm »
Wow...thanks! I had a feeling there was a better way

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 06:30:39 pm »
I've had the same 6 steel wedges for close to 40 years splitting wood to burn before making bows.Still as good as ever.Get em at farm sales cheap.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline justsomedude

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 06:36:27 pm »