Author Topic: gorse  (Read 1345 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
gorse
« on: February 10, 2017, 04:28:35 pm »
I have read that scotch broom makes excellent bows but it doesn't grow near me.  Gorse does, everywhere, sometimes up to about 8 feet in height with stems as thick as my wrist.  I believe gorse is closely related to scotch broom.  Anyone ever tried making a bow from gorse or am I gonna be the first one to try to get past all those spikes?   >:D

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: gorse
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 06:01:59 pm »
Never heard of it, but my interest is peaked. Got any pics?

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 07:20:19 pm »
I think I remember reading somewhere about it being similar to broom, bow wood wise. We have them both here everywhere. It's just so thorny I haven't went into a good patch of it yet. Cut some if you have access to it. I wonder if it has nice chocolate brown heartwood like broom? Cheers- Brendan

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 07:43:07 pm »
I cut a piece of broom to try for an arrow and it was very bendy, really low spine. For a bow you will probably need a proportionally thicker piece to get a decent draw weight. Assuming Gorse is as bendy as Broom.

Offline ArrowStorm

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 07:53:15 pm »
I've been thinking about making a bow out of gorse or as it's known where I live as whin but can't find a bit the right length. But I have made a knife handle out of it that looks sick. Gorse is related to peas etc.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 11:18:47 pm »
I've seen lots of pics of gorse on BBC shows but not in person. The best way to find out if it will make a bow is to build a bow.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 03:22:02 am »
I think it would be best looking for billets. I've made a couple of cattys from it.