Author Topic: cypress??  (Read 5258 times)

Offline willie

cypress??
« on: February 13, 2017, 01:32:52 pm »
Anyone ever make or try to make a bow from cypress?  Taxodium distichum or baldcypress

I have a board that tests as being quite stiff for its density. the sample was very dry, though.

the test sample did not take any set before  it broke, but it did not bend very far either.

seems that cypress was used for bows  by the Seminoles.

maybe it would be better for arrows?

Offline Parnell

Re: cypress??
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 02:37:20 pm »
Mullet and I helped a guy make a seasoned cypress stave bow several years back.  We kept it long and made it bend through the handle.   We went from stave to shooting bow in one day.  It worked and shot well enough.  It's not Osage but it'll do the job!
1’—>1’

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 04:20:29 pm »
I "think" that ed Scott used it with a sinew backing but don't hold me to that.
At least not until I can find the video interview with him.

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 05:37:51 pm »
dylan

thanks for the tip about the interview. The older and longer versionof the video,  that has the cypress bow can be found here

ht    tp://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzcwMjQyOTc2.html?from=y1.2-1-103.3.5-1.1-1-1-4-0

along with others from the original series

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 02:28:29 pm »
I'm quite surprised.  Cool.

Limbit

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 11:31:29 pm »
I made one using Laotian cypress and tried to make one using Hinoki cypress here in Taiwan. The Hinoki developed compression fissures right off the bat at around 10'' of pull on the tiller tree. The Laotian cypress seemed fine, but it is so easy to remove wood from cypress and it is so light that I designed it poorly and it only pulled 25#@28''. That might be why it made a bow to be honest: low poundage. I rawhide backed another piece of loatian cypress for a second try and the rawhide ripped the back up as it dried! Chopped both of them up and used them for air fresheners in my house the wood smelled so good. If you make one, I would say to use a pyramid design, do a slow dry raw hide backing on it and be sure to put tips overlays on it as the wood is so soft you are likely to damage the tips.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 08:43:49 am »
I have tons of cypress I'm but a few min from the southern texas/Louisiana border. I'll have to try this.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 09:44:43 am »
I've been wanting to try bald cypress as arrow material. Anybody done that? Of course, I don't know where I would get cypress...
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 10:04:36 am »
I've been wanting to try bald cypress as arrow material. Anybody done that? Of course, I don't know where I would get cypress...

From me pm your adress and I'll send a bit

Offline willie

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 11:48:06 am »
Swamp Thang,

Do you find cypress to be on the brittle side? I am thinking of backing the stave, or maybe I have it too dry?

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 12:48:43 pm »
Been huntin this stuff for a while, we used it for bows back in the.day.  I would be very interested in acquiring some of this when I get out there Swamp Thang.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 02:32:16 pm »
I haven't used it my self I'll go to the swamp next week and shop for one for you willie. And sure thing ed I'll set some to the side for you.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 02:38:16 am »
Jim, I've heard good things from some guys on another site who I think are from Hungary and Germany.

But, remember, POC is technically a cypress, and if you search up something like "cypress arrows" you quickly find out most of them refer to Lawson's Cypress, aka POC, so......?

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 10:42:59 am »
I had a guy around here at one point tell me how cypress was one of his favorite bow woods to work with. He never really said why, just that he likes it.

Kyle

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 12:36:11 pm »
So who wants to come over and work some cypress with me lol