Author Topic: When - in its life, not in the season - to harvest yew  (Read 4682 times)

Offline Craven

When - in its life, not in the season - to harvest yew
« on: February 13, 2017, 09:53:32 pm »
Hi All

I am planning to plant some yew trees at my parents' farm. It is not a native here, but should I think enjoy the climate.

How old do they have to be before I harvest them?

Thanks

Craven

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: When - in its life, not in the season - to harvest yew
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 10:51:10 pm »
A couple of hundred years...at least not in your lifetime. There are other bow wood trees that you could harvest in 8 or 10 years.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 09:47:41 am »
If you are just starting kindergarten, you could easily plant a yew and be making a bow by the time you retire. If it's a fast growing yew, it should be about 4" diameter by then.

Eric
Eric

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 08:06:46 pm »
That's not exactly all accurate....high densely growing yew will take a lifetime as Pat, and Eric say. The other option is low elevation yew that takes much less time, it won't be of the same quality, but there are always trade-offs. Elevation, sunlight, temps make for different growth, but will never the less make a decent bow. If you are serious I would prune all the lower branches while young, make sure to seal the cuts to prevent disease......good luck, and if nothing else you would have a special tree that would naturally out live your life time, and several others of your family as well!

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.