Author Topic: bruise  (Read 1767 times)

Offline paulc

bruise
« on: February 14, 2017, 09:52:53 am »
So am I the only one who has done this to themselves...missed the rock and hit myself.

Also, I can't get pressure flaking to work at all!  I can use the copper bopper or hammerstone no problem to get nice flakes off my texas chert, ohio flint, and obsidian.  But once I try to pressure flake I get tiny crumbles that don't go anywhere across the piece...

Help please!

Paul C

Offline Zuma

Re: bruise
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 10:32:24 am »
Try wearing a pair of jeans when you knap >:D
Sounds like you need to grind the edge platform
before pressure flaking.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline paulc

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 10:52:46 am »
That is through a pair of jeans  :P 

Would cooking the rock longer or at higher temp help the pressure flaking work better?

Paul

Offline Tower

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 11:16:08 am »
I did that to myself back when I first started knapping.  Use thicker pads & position the stone so your not using your led a a stop. When I use my leg I use the side not the top . 
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 11:25:04 am »
I,ve seen some one use phone book.  But it looks dorky. and we all know you got to look cool when knapping.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 12:20:38 pm »
I dunno, I don't hit that hard but I use a thin maybe 1/8" piece of leather as my pad. Now after a bad day playing with certain ridiculously hard stones I'll have a bruise forming but that looks like you clubbed it! Hahaha

For pressure flaking grind that edge. You don't flake the super thin edges, those just crumble. I've done such thin flakes that I was able to use my grinding rock and make the flake a triangle and then shoot a series of tiny flakes and it was done. If you have a leather worker local or a great place would be a Tandy leather store. Scrap bins full of leather.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 08:32:04 pm »
Paulc, when I first started my leg looked the same then like Tower said I learned to use side of my leg and hit more into the rock, My knapping improved greatly after I learned to hit stuff hard and get your  flakes to go at least half way across if not a little more, It makes thinning so much easier when your flakes go past the center, Like I said before the curve is long so just enjoy the ride an before you know it you to will be there. Later Bob

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 10:10:00 pm »
I've had a few of those.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 12:40:44 pm »
I actually do percussion knapping while standing, holding the rock in my left hand, right because of that.
Don't shoot!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 02:02:21 pm »
1.  Work hard at really understanding platforms and setting them up.
2.  Abrade abrade abrade. 
3.  Hold on loosely but don't let go...if you cling to tightly...you gonna loose control.  This applies to both hands.
4.  Follow through counts just like throwing a ball or loosing an arrow.  This accounts for your bruise.
5.  BREAK LOTS OF ROCK ;D
1’—>1’