Author Topic: Starting of bow for MoJam auction- full draw page 3  (Read 11366 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Starting of bow for MoJam auction- full draw page 3
« on: February 14, 2017, 02:20:24 pm »
I finally decided to take the time to start on a bow the the auction at MoJam. I'm making it out of the stave of ERC I took last summer. I got it roughed out to a tip to tip length of 62", 1 3/4" wide for 12" past the fades then tapering to 1/2" tips. The handle is 1 1/8" wide for 4" with 3" fades. I decrowned the back since it had a lot of curve, making a flat about 1 3/8" wide. There should still be a good splash of color on the belly when all done. I sealed the back with TB 3 for now so it won't check to back while I let some moisture drop inside for a week or so before I have time to floor tiller and long string it before applying a heavy layer of sinew. At the moment there is 3 1/8" of reflex. I'm thinking of an end goal of 50# at 29". I'm hoping to cover the back with birch bark to seal the sinew when finished. I think I've got enough sinew left from the last one for a thin coat over the entire thing. While the first later dries I'll order some more and get it processes.

I'll keep updating on here as I make progress.

Kyle
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 07:54:12 pm by Mo_coon-catcher »

Offline Onebowonder

Re: Starting of bow for MoJam auction
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 02:24:32 pm »
I bet it'll be a bid magnet!  -OneBow

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 03:22:51 pm »
I'm looking forward to seeing this one built... you know I love the MoJam auction... :)   ;D
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 08:08:11 am »
After a couple weeks drying inside, the stave has 5" of reflex now. And I still have to sinew it. Anyone have any idea of how much reflex a sinew backed ERC can handle? I feel like I'll be looking at 6"+ after a healthy layer of sinew.

Kyle

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 12:25:48 pm »
I'm not trying to throw water on your idea or effort here really.It's a very nice genuine gesture.I made a heavily sinewed 1.75" wide R/D 64" with an 8" handle and 6" of reflex from some trunk wood once.All heartwood.It broke right at 26".Looked good till then.The sinew delaminated the wood.If you heavily sinew it I'm almost sure you'll have practically all sapwood left from tillering in the limbs.I've heard that will work yet too but never have done that myself.
From your statement I gather your concerned about the over amount of reflex already.Understandable since you decrowned it some.Taming that down to at least half or less yet even flat just with retro bent tips of 2" before sinewing would be my reccomendation.Steaming in a whole lot deflex into the center foot since it's roughed out already would be a start.I did that with mine with no problems of cracking from drying etc. but then I put more reflex in the outer limbs to to compensate and I think that was my downfall.If your handle is wide enough yet a bendy handle type bow might handle that a lot better especially wanting a 29" draw from it.I would'nt do that with yours after deflexing it.I've heard branch wood is better for a bow out of red cedar though but I would'nt bet my life on it.
Maybe you've had better experiences with red cedar.That's just my take on this one.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 12:35:02 pm »
Bob...Are you the auctioneer at that event?
BowEd
Ed

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 12:59:42 pm »
This one is already set up for a bbendy handle since it only was 3/4" thick once cleaned up. I can probably scale back te drae length a bit. I wanted to be sure as many people as possible could shoot it that wanted. But a 27" draw would probably be more safe and hit a majority of people's draw lengths. this is trunk wood from a sapling and is mostly sapwoodZ I'm hoping there ailk still be a splash of heart wood when finished tillering. If it holds its going in the auction. Otherwise I'll have seen what I can make ERC do.

Kyle

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 01:10:16 pm »
Great,My mistake I did'nt realize it was going to be a bendy handle bow.I'll be watching here though if you show the progess along.I've got a 6" branch here with a good 3" of heartwood in it around 60" long.Figured to band saw it in half.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 01:16:17 pm »
It's already up to 6 3/8" of reflex and I still have to add more sinew to fill some gaps. This stave almost worries me with how much reflex it has. oh well, it'll make a fun one to tiller.

Kyle

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 09:28:51 pm »
Bob...Are you the auctioneer at that event?

Bob is one of the "hardcore" bidders..  ;)

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 12:02:58 am »
no, I'm not the auctioneer, but I do love to bid... can't wait to see this bow some more...
 (-P

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 07:38:49 am »
I'll be looking forward to seeing this one.  I'm working on a bow for the auction to. It won't be cedar though.  :BB
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 09:43:39 am »
Dang! Now I really can't wait for mojam!
Kyle,  I hope you are wearing your safety glasses.
I need more pictures, unpacking boxes is not that much fun.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 11:40:43 am »
Dave, remember I shoot 50#@27"...   (SH)  I've been wanting to get one of your nice bows for a long time...  my Marley bow is just a little too small for hunting...  ;D

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 08:33:09 pm »
Dave, remember I shoot 50#@27"...   (SH)  I've been wanting to get one of your nice bows for a long time...  my Marley bow is just a little too small for hunting...  ;D

Bob,  you and I may have to argue over that bow. 50@27 is my stats as well!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!