Author Topic: might try a predator call for deer.  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Ed Brooks

might try a predator call for deer.
« on: February 02, 2017, 06:03:06 pm »
In the past I have had doe and cow elk come in to my predator call, to see what was dying or probably more to see what was doing the killing.
I got a shot at a deer this yr using a predator call and just about got ran over doing it.
Our early season was hot and dry, was like walking on corn flakes out there still hunting.
I jumped a deer in the timber, I was on an old logging rd. The deer was over a bank with low noisy brush covering it, along a switchback in the rd when I hear it bound away. With no chance of following that deer, I give the predator call a blow. with a loud crash, across the rd from where the deer went the brush explodes, I thought I jumped the elk. A doe is running full go strait at me (wish I had hid before I give it a blow) she stops at about 4 or 5yrd & with one little limb in between us that I don't see, and it was more than enough to send my arrow harmlessly off in the brush in a different direction. But I got the shot. It almost happened again two days later about 50 yrds down the rd,could have been the same deer, however I need to hide better no shot that time.  Just throwing that out there, may be worth giving it a try to see if you get the same kind of results. Ed

It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: might try a predator call for deer.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 06:44:11 am »
I've had the same happen to me multiple times even with mule deer. Sometimes their curiosity get the best of them and when it does, be ready! I had a buck jump a creek hauling a$$ straight at me and I wasn't ready so I yelling at him as loud as I could to avoid being trampled.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 09:37:32 pm »
Twice I was predator hunting in my fencerow. I was blowing on a rabbit call when Bucks came 200 yards across a open field straight to me. It wasn't deer season either time, so I just watched them. I've never tried it during deer season it you could be on to something Ed.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 10:58:47 pm »
Sitka blacktail hunters do it all the time. Fawn distress calls. I shot my sitka using that technique. Spike fork was up the road about 50 yards. My hunting mate and I ducked off and he started on the call. Sure enough it came to the sound. I even got two shots at it!
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb