Author Topic: turkey hunting set up, photo custom turkey head added  (Read 15598 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: turkey hunting set up,,more pics added
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2017, 04:28:23 pm »
Well regardless you put a lot of time and thought into it.Wish ya luck.
I'm still waiting for that strutter to turn his back yet too.Got a friend with a long bow shoot 2 last year on public hunting ground.Exceptional year if you ask me.I'm sitting at an area that's been a life long dream so I try to enjoy it.They are pretty wary here.
Setting up from them early morning in the dark less then 100 yards from where they are roosted is about the best scenario here to get.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: turkey hunting set up,neck shot photo added
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2017, 05:11:57 pm »
neck shot, today I got creative,,,tryed to make it a bit more realistifc,,the paper dont lie, I missed the first shot,, second shot got him,, well I hope I have two turkeys to shoot at,, cause I am 50 50 at best now,, but still have time to work on my shot,, the bow is shooting great,, so no excuse there,, :G

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2017, 05:17:04 pm »
yep if you got two in one year with long bow, thats pretty darn good,, I am sure you gonna have some luck if you get set up enough one gonna make a mistake,, turn his back to you and all that, ,just like utube,, at 5 yards,, you gonna feel bad its gonna be so easy,,, :laugh:

Offline DC

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2017, 05:51:35 pm »
Could you use one of those trident fishing arrows? Illegal? Unsportsmanlike?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2017, 05:59:39 pm »
if it has barbs ,, probably not leagal,, I am not familiar with it,, but a fishing arrow weight would proabley be ok out to 10 yards,,but I think most of those are fiberglass,, its to late for me to change arrows anyway, I am used to what I am shooting,,,but I do like a heavy arrow for short range,, :G

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2017, 11:13:01 pm »
Brad have you ever seen the arrow heads I think he's called Beacum outdoors ( probably spelled that wrong). He's on YouTube and makes some pretty cool stuff. He drills holes in his shafts.(actually I think there fore shafts and puts about 3" long dowels though them. (Actually I think he carves them from branches). He uses two of them with hole drilled in two different spots on shaft 90 degrees from each other so it's like a x on his shaft. He spin balances them. He also ties them on shaft which would probably work better without fore shaft. If you get a chance he's entertaining if nothing else.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2017, 11:13:41 pm »
PS nice shooting
Bjrogg

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2017, 01:02:57 pm »
I checked out the guy you referred to,, nice video, I saw the arrows,, very nice,,
I have tried someting similar with nails,, making the X,, and got the arrow to shoot pretty good, I am just not sure if it was adequate for a turkey, they are so tuff,, I will try with broad head this year,, and maybe experiement with something made for a head shot next year,,
I am probably  going to shoot a body shot ,, and only attemp the head shot if that is the only shot I have,,
I feel like the broadhead gives you the option for both,,,, where the other head does not, so its a trade off,,I am considering it though,,I have seen some Native arrows with the X like that as well,, :G

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2017, 10:34:40 pm »
I totally understand. I haven't even hunted turkey, really would like to. Got a bunch here but just never have the time during season. I enjoyed watching his YouTube videos but also wondered if that would be enough to take out a turkey. Interesting fellow though.
Bjrogg

Offline neuse

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2017, 07:44:40 am »
Are you training those cats to be turkey hunters?
Thats some nice equipment you have.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2017, 09:23:32 am »
I've always just used broadheads.My friends do here too.The vitals are a little different.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2017, 01:07:34 pm »
i think those are tracking cats :D

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2017, 02:55:38 pm »
so far Beadman is winning set up of the month,, :)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: turkey hunting set up, new photo of turkey arrow,,
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2017, 09:04:22 pm »
ok this is an arrow I have been testing,, shoots pretty good,, just not sure of effectiveness,, I was thinking I would hammer the nails sharp on the ends,, it weighs a little over 500 grains,, I could put it on a heavier shaft,, but this was my starting point,, :BB

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: turkey hunting set up, new photo of turkey arrow,,
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2017, 10:29:32 pm »
I wouldn't want to get shoot by it.lol. I'm surprised it doesn't weigh more than that. I forgot to ask before. That same YouTube guy had a really cool decoy he was making. He actually stuffed a hen and was going to poise it in a submissive position for Tom turkey to mount with back towards hunter. I haven't watched him since to see if he used it yet.
Bjrogg