Author Topic: kinda looks like an arrowhead...  (Read 1357 times)

Offline paulc

kinda looks like an arrowhead...
« on: February 16, 2017, 08:51:38 am »
Closest I have come yet.  Flint ridge OH stuff.  I think it would go thru a hide.

Paul

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: kinda looks like an arrowhead...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 09:02:31 am »
Keep on knapping. It's all good it's all a learning process. It's hard to explain to someone how to do it. As with so many things observation and hands on experience are some real good teachers.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 10:19:37 am »
Not too bad. Keep going, I would take a small bopper to thin it out more, but thats just me.  Although the stone has good color it looks like it is rough material.  Try to get better material.  That way you dont get frustrated before you experience a victory. 

Offline paulc

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 11:42:48 am »
I have wondered how much the material is playing in what I am doing...although my obsidian doesn't look much better!  Most of my Ohio stuff is what I picked up off the surface around the dig holes left behind by others.  I was way unprepared for my collecting trip so pulling fresh rock was not very realistic.  So maybe my stuff was discarded by folks looking to make arrow heads cause they knew it was not great stuff..?  Or maybe it was kicked aside by folks looking for pretty rock for lapidary work.  Don't know.  It is one long learning experience.  I've cooked this stuff twice now in a turkey roaster-says 450 on the dial as highest temp but I haven't tested it yet to confirm.

Paul

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 01:51:33 pm »
Keep going!  Gotta break a lot of rock...
1’—>1’