Author Topic: Brace for heartbreak  (Read 5105 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Brace for heartbreak
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 03:16:28 pm »
I put another groove in my top limb for a simple stringer and use a piece of parachute cord with a loop on each end for a stringer. I make the bottom string groove a little wider to accommodate the bowstring and stringer loop.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 04:46:50 pm »
Thanks Eric. That sure is a pretty looking setup. To tell the honest truth I don't know how to use one. Do you hold bow by handle step on rope and string with other hand? I might have to look on YouTube to see how they work.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 04:51:48 pm »
Mostly use Push-Pull, but if I have to do the stringer thing, I like the setup Eric K mentioned above.  It doesn't add any significant amount of weight to make one tip a bit longer to accommodate the extra nock for the stringer.  I'm getting old and ever more flabby these days, so about the point you cross the 75 pound draw weight line, I'm huffing and puffing for the stringer option.  ...even less weight than that if it's a radical type of recurve.  Long bows are the sweetest to string, ...so long as they ain't CRAZY long!!!

OneBow

Offline DesertDisciple

• Arise, for it is your task, and we are with you
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 05:39:15 pm »
I really like using stringer grooves as shown above.

Before that it was simple: stand on one foot, one tip on the ground and your knee against the handle, pull the upper tip while pushing with your knee on the handle. An optional step is to keep your balance with your head against a wall.  ;D

Seriously though, stringer grooves. Just a heavy duty piece of cord with a loop in either end works really well.
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 06:12:30 pm »
I'm a push pull guy like my buddy Pearl. Having said that, it can be dangerous as my other buddy Bob said. Bob has strung countless bows and one slip got him for life. He still string bows the same way. I've seen it. >:D
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 06:25:44 pm »
I just use like Pat B a clothes line string with 2 leather booties on each end nowadays.Extra string groove on top limb always looked good to me too.Still use the push pull too though at times.When releasing pressure from stringing push pull I turn the bow away from me as I release it.That way it can't fly into your face by accident if not in the groove properly.
Got a video in the horn bow section stringing a bow with 8" of reflex with the old primitive stringer.Slick and quick.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 06:59:31 pm »
Could we see a picture of the string with the booties?  Wouldn't the booty get in the way of the groove?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2017, 09:41:06 pm »
Sure..Why not.Make the string grooves around 3/4" in from the tip end to allow room to get your loop on and off on your top limb.The bottom tip does'nt matter.Just like the extra string groove using only a string all the pressure is on the tips while bracing.Stand on the string in the center directly beneath center of your handle.A primitive stringer.Easy to make from scraps.

Got some booties made out of rawhide too with an adjustable string for reverse bracing any length bows too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 09:45:47 pm »
When a person has more extreme statics a stringer that puts pressure on just the static at the bend and the bottom tip does'nt matter again.Just so the stringer puts even pressure on the stiff static ends.Not on any part of the working limb.
Static bends over 5" I use a stringer.Otherwise push pull.I hav'nt gotten the step through process down properly and don't feel comfortable doing it.I know if it's done right and it's a feel thing too it works great for fellas.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 09:48:49 pm by Beadman »
BowEd
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2017, 06:35:08 am »
When you use the push/pull method try to stay aware of where your head and eyes are. Im a g ood 6" tall, so if I stay mostly upright I'm well above most limb tips in the event one got loose on me. You don't have to spread your legs 3 feet wide and bend at the knees to push/pull a bow to brace, technique is everything. This isn't foolproof by any means, but it will help keep you out of harms way.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2017, 07:11:37 am »
Thanks everyone for the replies. I've been working on the push pull and getting better. Still have one bow I just can't get yet but that's two less than just a couple days ago all though it is still about all I can do to get them. I believe I'll experiment with the stringers some also. I will have a few more options for my buddy now at least. Thanks again
Bjrogg

Offline gfugal

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2017, 11:36:27 am »
I do the step through method. I can see why it could be disastrous if you're trying to brace a bow that is still too strong and uneven in the tillering process, or if your technique is just horrible. I've had no problems with it so far, as long as you makes sure your knee is pressing on the center of the handle and you're evenly bending the limbs. I don't like the push-pull because the string loop has to be around the limb and you have to slide it up. I've had more issues with it getting stuck, or uneven bending do to my attention all going to the dumb loop than the bend of the limb, especially if its sinew backed or a recurve. 
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2017, 12:54:15 pm »
Now I'm just a little curious how many if any other step through people there are out there. I have to admit for me step through feels really natural and is a combination of a lot of small move that for me just melt together to make one big move. That could be how push pull becomes for me though if I do it enough too. I'm same as gfugal, I have hard time pushing and sliding string up the limb.
I wonder if it makes any difference if your short or tall? It probably is my technique

Offline DesertDisciple

• Arise, for it is your task, and we are with you
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2017, 04:23:44 pm »
+1 to bjrogg.

I like push-pull and it's how I string any longbow but I also have issues with the loop getting stuck on sinew wraps and the like. It's not a good feeling to not be able to make the last inch on a static recurve and have the string grip on a sinew or thread wrap when trying to let it down.  I also don't like the method for really narrow tips because it's harder to keep the loop in check under the instep.

I think the stringer is still the best and safest practice, but it's good to have another technique for when you forget one.
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2017, 10:25:09 am »
I shoot mostly asiatic bows, so Turkish or Manchu and the like, step through is the only method for stringing these bows and is in fact the method used in period for the most part. The shorter bows like the Turkish you hook around your ankle (don't push the tip into the ground) and stand somewhat vertically and run the handle across the back of your knee and string. With the longer bows with the longer saiyas like a Manchu you have to squat down some, brace the bottom saiya over your thigh above the knee, run the bow behind your other knee (the may require spreading your feet pretty good) and then stretch out and pull the top limb while twisting your body a little to bend the bottom limb evenly. All whil enot twisting anything of course, lol.