Author Topic: Sinew wrapping recurves  (Read 1439 times)

Offline High-Desert

Sinew wrapping recurves
« on: March 08, 2017, 12:28:18 pm »
Whenever I do a sinew backed bow, which has only been 4. I always wrap the recucurves with sinew to prevent the sinew from pulling out of the curve while drying. I have always left the wraps in place, but I see a lot of sinew backed recurves without wrapping. Are you guys wrapping the recurves, then once dry, rasping away the wrapping on the sides and belly section? Or just not wrapping them at all.
I am currently working on a sinew backed juniper that I has 3 layers of sinew, only 1 through the recurves tho, and I would like to remove the sinew from the sides and belly on the recurves, I just don't want to chance it pulling away from the curve.

Thanks,

Eric
Eric

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sinew wrapping recurves
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 01:11:13 pm »
I don't put sinew on the non working portion of the recurves but I do add a wrap at the termination of the sinew/skin covering.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 01:16:59 pm »
I just feather it into the curve a bit . See no need to wrap it. It should be glued down properly.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 01:36:00 pm »
You have to be carefull when sinew wrapping recurves. I wrapped one of my bows and i didn't think of alternating the wrapps. When the sinew dried it pullud the recurve slightly out of alingment.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 03:57:35 pm »
I lay one thin layer tip to tip, then the next layers just the working limbs, haven't had any lift.
I've also wrapped my recurves with sinew then removed the wraps before tillering

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 04:14:48 pm »
+ 1 & 2 to what was said by the 2 Pat's.
Only wrap I put on is silk and of no holding down power on sinew intended at the base of recurves.No sinew on stiff recurves.No wrapping on working recurves either.On stiff non bending statics I feel it serves no function besides adding unneeded weight to tips on bows from 58" to 64" TTT.Now if your bow is a very short bow the limbs won't weigh that much anyway.Especially juniper.If I was to put sinew on sharply bent static recurves while it dries yes it probably should be wrapped.The sinew will shrink length wise across the bend but after it gels and bonds to the core it should stay but still will not stretch or work there because it's stiff there so I doubt whether it would pull it up.
The silk wraps' intention is to stop wear and tear and fraying up of the edge of the covering over top of the sinew from the string loop and being mostly decorative.Sinew wrapping there can do the same thing.Many like to wrap recurves and handles etc.That's cool.I don't in these type situations.Just my opinion.
You do what makes you feel comfortable.It's your bow.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 05:12:40 pm »
Great, thanks everyone. I only have one layer through the recurves, it's been a month, so I will go ahead and rasp away the sinew wrapping on the sides and belly.

Eric
Eric