Author Topic: osage newbie  (Read 3590 times)

Offline meanewood

osage newbie
« on: February 17, 2017, 06:28:06 pm »
Ive got a locally grown (Australia) stave of Osage ready to go and need some advise never having used it before.

First, it has about 4-5 inches of even reflex which developed while splitting and seasoning. The log was pretty straight when felled.
Is this to much to begin the tillering or should I straighten it a bit with heat first?

Second, I'm tempted to leave the bark on due to the fact its pristine and would look great!
I left the bark on a hawthorn bow recently and just love the look.
Has anyone tried that with Osage before?

Offline osage outlaw

Re: osage newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 06:36:11 pm »
If you leave the bark on it might pop off when you start bending it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 07:32:47 pm »
  I don't think leaving the bark on is a good option. It will affect your tillering somewhat. We also normally bring osage down to a heartwood ring for the back of the bow. 

Offline meanewood

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 02:57:20 am »
I'm not worried if it pops off. If it does, I'll just clean it up and go with a sapwood ring.

This stave is not thick enough to remove all the sapwood due to heavy checking along the pith line.
By the time I got through it, the thickness in the center is 26mm and that includes about 2mm of bark!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 10:08:18 am »
I think there is a possibility that if the bark pops off it could cause other problems. For one thing the weight will be reduced and there is a chance a splinter could lift around a knot or pin. IMO, it is best to get to a good clean back ring before you start tillering. You never know what you might find below the bark.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline meanewood

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 05:44:48 am »
OK, I'll take the advise and remove the bark. I'm kind of over that idea now anyway.

I put it on the tiller yesterday, with a clamp to hold the middle and see how it reacted to having 5 inches of reflex.
It took 100lbs to get it to low brace height!

100lb is my target so I definitely need to take some of this reflex out.
I'll try rice bran oil and the trusty heat gun.

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 01:13:34 pm »
Yes I would reduce the reflex as well. I like my elb's to have about 1 - 2 inches reflex if possible.