Author Topic: black osier arrows  (Read 7793 times)

Offline jeffp51

Re: black osier arrows
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 04:29:20 pm »
Thanks Mike. I saw on another thread that you say you are moving. When are you moving, and where are you headed? Are you relocating, or just upgrading to a nicer place? If you leave the swamp, what will we call you then?

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 10:24:59 am »
Man that makes me want some Black Oiser,  Nice job!

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 09:51:59 pm »
Yes, the black osier is mighty fine and rare material. Only problem is that it is hard to identify. It looks exactly like it's cousin, the red osier dogwood. The process for telling the difference is really complicated. First you have to peel off the bark, and straighten and smooth down the shaft. Then apply a good quality stain with an old T-shirt.  If the wood turns the color of a fine German dark chocolate, then BAM-- it's your lucky day, because you have some black osier on your hands. 8)

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 02:19:47 am »
Haha you Crack me up. Made my evening. Cheers- Brendan

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 08:27:55 pm »
It may also help to hold your tongue in the right position, and be sure to leave a bit of poteen for the leprechauns so they don't get too mischievous and mess up the stain.  If the poteen is good stuff they may help you with the job😀  :NN
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2017, 10:37:21 am »
Hawkdancer, you shouldn't be giving out false information like that, some newbs may take the bad advice, leprechauns don't do arrows, that's house brownies....  >:D

Offline gfugal

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2017, 12:54:34 pm »
Very Nice! where did you get your fletchings? Did you buy them or dye them yourself?
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 02:30:16 pm »
these are from  three rivers. I get the full length feathers and cut them to to 4.5".  That way I can sometimes get two fletchings from one feather. I cut them a little taller to make up for them being a little shorter.

To cut them I lay the base next to a straight edge and then tape the whole feather down flat with low stick masking tape. Then I use a template to mark the shape and cut them out with a pair of scissors.

Offline Scottski

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2017, 12:08:39 am »
Wow Very nice!
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2017, 02:07:19 am »
Maybe we should move the leprechauns and house brownies part to Around the Campfire to avoid hijacking this post😀 >:D👹!  Along with some poteen and the second canteen, of course!
Jerry

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2017, 09:04:23 pm »
 When it comes to the elusive black osier, you need all the help you can get, including brownies and leprechauns- although you may see fewer of those around if you lay off the poteen -- had to look up what that even was-- no hijacking going on here.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2017, 10:02:13 am »
Jeff, I did send you a pm a while ago about moving.  I won't be too far from the swamp.  Maybe one of these days walking around the swamp I will be lucky enough to find that elusive black osier.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2017, 01:50:47 pm »
It is very possible that leprechauns and other faeries are drawn to the poteen and uisce beatha, especially at this season, they would likely be very interested in the search for the elusive black oiser😀!  Being the full moon, and very near the spring equinox, strange things may happen.  Swampman needs to take care on his sojourns into the swamp - several faerie beings are believed to be swamp dwellers, some not so nice, and the pookas may anywhere. The will'o'wisps can lead you into strange or dangerous places!
On the other hand, I read that the red oiser is native to Swampman's area, so maybe he will get lucky!  It is very probably still in winter mode up there, but what I found had green inner bark already,
But we had a very warm month in February. 
Everyone have a happy and safe St. Patrick's Day (week)!  There may be more musings from the faeries as the week goes on😀 >:D!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Ippus

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2017, 07:17:00 pm »
The shafts get spun on my belt sander, which helps me get the spine, but also makes them look smooth. 

Okay, I'm really curious about the belt sander. How do you get them to spin evenly? You put them in a drill chuck and counterspin against the belt or something?
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline DC

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2017, 09:23:36 pm »
The shafts get spun on my belt sander, which helps me get the spine, but also makes them look smooth. 

Okay, I'm really curious about the belt sander. How do you get them to spin evenly? You put them in a drill chuck and counterspin against the belt or something?

That's how I do it. Works great. Make sure no one is standing on the other end of the sander. Sometimes they come out of the chuck and to sander fires them across the room ;D