Author Topic: Sealing staves with glue  (Read 6954 times)

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
Re: Sealing staves with glue
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2017, 09:28:00 pm »
not to interfere, but we seal every block of wood that goes through our place- and that is a lot- i have tried quite a few different things. glue- it seems to flake off after a while, those proper log sealing emulsions- like "anchorseal" they get porous after a year or so.  what i have found to work the best is plain old wax- we buy it in slabs by the 100# but you can buy smaller blocks from the craft stores for making candles, heat it up outside and dip the ends in. it lasts the best- is the ultimate seal.- just what we have found!

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2017, 09:34:57 pm »
Clint try a smaller batch to see how you like it glue is great for ends but I prefer shellac for backs
but if you find that you like the glue let me know as I have excess to some for you ! pm me my friend
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2017, 10:57:44 pm »
I prefer shellac too. I don't seal lots of wood so it is economical enough. I buy it in a spray can because it has unlimited shelf life. Ant time I expose a new back, new wood or old, I seal it. Most staves I get have the ends sealed but if I cut the end(s) off I will spray it with shellac.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2017, 11:04:10 pm »
I don't think wax will work for what I need.  I seal the backs of the staves when I remove the sapwood or if the stave is a belly split.  I move them around a lot after they are sealed so the wax will probably get damaged and knocked off.  I'm not worried about being able to easily remove the sealer on the backs of the staves.  They will need to have a ring chased later down the road. 

Thanks for all the ideas guys.  It has generated some informative discussion.  I am going to experiment with watered down glue later this week.  I'll post the results and the mixture ratio.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2017, 11:12:57 pm »
How many coats do you guys typically use to seal a fresh cut stave that you removed the sapwood?  I seal the ends twice when I cut the tree.  Then when I split it into staves I'll seal the backs at least twice and coat the ends again with each coat.  I have had very good results doing it that way.  In fact, I have more problems with staves checking on the backs when I leave the bark on them instead of removing it and sealing them. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2017, 08:06:02 am »
I just water cheap wood glue down, about 25% water and keep it in a bucket with a big paint brush, always has worked for me and is easy to remove. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh B

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2017, 08:15:13 am »
I buy cheap elmers glue in the gallon jug.  Don't even water it down.  I just pour a stream down the back and spread it around with a brush.  Works for me.  I do dip the ends into a gallon can of poly and let it set up for a half hour or so first though.  Josh

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2017, 12:04:23 pm »
I just switched from using glue to using spray shellac since it dries quick and convenient to hike with. I can put it on as soon as I cut, and get the staves hiked out. I used straight glue before, but it gets cover in dirt on the hike and in the back of the truck. I never cut it with water tho. It probably not critical, whatever is the most convientient for you.

Eric
Eric

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2017, 01:31:03 pm »
paint will work,, :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2017, 02:18:10 pm »
paint will work,, :)

That makes it hard to see the rings on the ends.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2017, 09:16:22 pm »
I mixed the TB II with about an equal amount of water and tested it out on the ends of some logs today.  The mixture was thin enough to paint on easily.  It seemed to work fine.  I'll put a couple more coats on just to make sure.