Author Topic: It followed me home thread  (Read 247811 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: It followed me home thread
« Reply #450 on: November 28, 2017, 11:23:50 am »
I don't know anyone that has the consistent luck that you do, OO!  You have made some amazing hauls in the last few years with this thread.  Folks like me should put you on retainer as a "picker".  We give you our shopping list and send you the money....you scrounge and fill the orders for a percentage of the take. 

Let me be your first customer.  I would like a Shopsmith Mark V, with the bandsaw attachment.  I would settle for the newer Mark 7 if that is all you can find. My budget is $100.  Your percentage, the customary 15%, plus a bonus 5% if you can get it shipped to me for free.  GO!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #451 on: November 28, 2017, 12:23:13 pm »
JW, I keep my eyes open for a bargain.  I get lucky every now and then.  I keep some stuff and resell the rest to fund my hobbies.   

There was a shopsmith at an auction recently but I didn't go to that one.   It probably went pretty cheap.  My coworkers and family have already given me a "watch" list of things they are looking for.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #452 on: December 02, 2017, 08:36:20 am »
I went to an estate auction that had a complete hobbyist wood shop. There was a complete Shopsmith with every attachment known to man up for auction. I think they said the owner paid over 11K for it, it auctioned for around 1K. I got a free standing Shopsmith planer worth $1500 for $300. I thought I needed it but found out it just collected dust in my shop. I posted it on Craig's list for what I had in it, it was gone in a day.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #453 on: December 02, 2017, 07:26:42 pm »
I picked these up at a farm auction today for pretty cheap.  I've been wanting a brush axe.  That little saw will fit nicely in my bow tool box.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #454 on: December 02, 2017, 07:31:50 pm »
The homemade post driver is pretty cool too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #455 on: December 02, 2017, 07:41:52 pm »
I might add some more weight to it.  I think it needs more oomph per strike.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #456 on: December 03, 2017, 08:07:22 am »
After years of driving posts with a sledge when I put up the electric fence around my greens patch I happened upon a post driver at a flea market for $10. After using it once I couldn't believe how easy it was to drive posts with it, I wish I had bought one years ago.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #457 on: December 05, 2017, 07:57:47 am »
Well nothing like the hauls Clint comes up with but I did have a few things follow me home from the local dump. I'm usually the first one there when it opens on Saturday morning. The fellow who runs it always picks a few items and sits them off to the side by the free sign. I try not to bring more home than I take cause unlike Clint mine usually doesn't get resold and if I'm not selective I can get buried in a hurry. Anyhow can never have to many nice wooden folding chairs and always can use another toolbox. Wish it had tools in it but both the chairs and toolbox are in great shape.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #458 on: December 07, 2017, 02:49:03 pm »
After years of driving posts with a sledge when I put up the electric fence around my greens patch I happened upon a post driver at a flea market for $10. After using it once I couldn't believe how easy it was to drive posts with it, I wish I had bought one years ago.

The definition of a post driving maul?  A big strong stick with something incredibly dense on one end and something metal on the other. 

;D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #459 on: December 19, 2017, 08:41:05 pm »
I welded a 15 lb chunck of steel to the top of that post driver.  I think it will drive a post pretty quickly now. 

I picked up a new toy this evening.  I've been looking for one of these for a while now.  My Dad has the same model only in camo.  I like them because they are built for farm work instead of trail riding.  The rear differential locks when needed.  It doesn't go very fast but it has a lot of power.  They can haul a lot of weight.  I'll be dragging out deer and logs with it.  The body is kind of rough but the honda engine runs smooth.  I got a very good deal on it.  The skull mounts I'm doing now will cover more than 1/3 of what I paid for it.

I did not get it at goodwill  ::)   That's where we stopped to eat on the way home.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #460 on: December 19, 2017, 08:56:36 pm »
Probably haul a few Osage logs out with that one Clint. I'm sure you'll put it to good use. I sure wish I had one.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #461 on: December 19, 2017, 09:00:38 pm »
It will definitly drag some osage logs this spring BJ.  I'm going to put a log arch on a boat trailer I'm converting into a flatbed.  That should save some back aches.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #462 on: December 19, 2017, 09:40:07 pm »
Nice find, Clint. I could sure use one of them for hauling firewood.
What did you get to eat at Good Will?   :-\
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #463 on: December 19, 2017, 09:42:16 pm »
A whopper and fries at the burger king next door Pat  ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #464 on: December 19, 2017, 09:53:12 pm »
You'll have to take that to Pappy's and race with his new rebuild.  ;)