Author Topic: Yaupon Shoot Arrows  (Read 10906 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Yaupon Shoot Arrows
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2017, 10:48:42 pm »
Nice looking bundles of shafts! The other pics got " Bucketed"!  Sounds like you need to have a "hog hunting party"! (SH) (-_) (=) -C-!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline txdm

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2017, 07:34:37 am »
I'm at a phase where I decide to go shoot my newly made arrows. I get all geared up and after a few shots, I pop over to the shed and start tinkering with them...this one needs sanding, this one needs straightening. And then I decide to start a new one, and before long its dark and I only shot a few times.

I kinda like making arrows more than I like making bows. Surprisingly, I found that using a metal scraper instead of a belt sander is faster and less hazardous (to me and the arrows) when stripping the bark and shaping them.

Also, my 3D hog target ate one of my copper points.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:40:57 am by txdm »

Offline Vgo750

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 12:04:38 am »
I read you are an hour east of Austin? Wherabouts? My family just bought a ranch south of rockdale!

Offline txdm

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2018, 11:42:20 am »
Updating this... my yaupon arrows are seemingly "lazy"... I mean some are rubbery enough that I can bend a shaft 180 degrees without it breaking, because the wood is just not stiff enough...and so they lack "spring".

Other arrows I've done from different woods have been stiffer, including a deciduous holly that grows among yaupons that is possibly possumhaw.

Should I try to dry the yaupons more in a heated box?

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2018, 02:19:15 pm »
You left the bark on, right? Maybe that's holding the moisture in.

Offline txdm

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2018, 02:50:03 pm »
I did leave the bark on while they stored for about a year before making.

I've got about 60 more shoots still with the bark on... so I should start stripping them, eh?

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2018, 05:59:00 pm »
They should have dried in a year no matter what, I got nuthin' else

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2018, 07:17:01 pm »
I've heard(but not tried) that you can remove the bark from shoots but leave an inch or 2 at each end with the bark on. Supposedly the shoots won't check and dry faster. It would be worth trying with a few of these shoots.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2018, 11:57:02 pm »
I have a bunch of red osier that I cut and peeled last spring, left 3"-4"bark on each end.  They seem to have dried well.  Haven't noticed any checking.  But things dry very well out here!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry