Author Topic: Why did I get set?  (Read 4515 times)

Offline John Scifres

Re: Why did I get set?
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2017, 08:22:52 pm »
I highly recommend you read the Bowyer's Bible Vol 1, particularly the Design chapter by Tim Baker.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2017, 06:31:15 pm »
I just wanted to post an update. Here's the bow drawn to 22". I got the limbs near even at brace, but couldn't remove completely the hinge in the top limb (pictured left). However, it no longer looks at all hingy, just like it bends a little too much there. I don't want to take off anymore wood trying to fix it unless I have to. what do you guys think? I'm already underweight. It's 27 lbs at 22". My target weight was 50 lbs at 32", but I don't think I'm going to go all the way out to 32" anymore, probably just to 30". I'm hoping to break 40 lbs. It hasn't gained much more set, but unfortunately a little bit (about a centimeter). It's set is 1.5" for the top limb and 1.2" for the bottom. My current plan is to heat treat the belly since I've got most of my scrapping done with. From there I'll just keep pulling it one inch at a time, checking the bend, until I get to draw weight. How long should I wait before bending after heat treatment?

I highly recommend you read the Bowyer's Bible Vol 1, particularly the Design chapter by Tim Baker.
I have read it several times, but am currently re-reading it now. It never hurts to re-read it, especially after you've experienced trying to make a couple bows.  :)
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2017, 07:25:55 pm »
A 64" bow with the recurves you have on there wanting to pull it to 30" and it being red oak I think you've done pretty good so far really.Your asking a lot from red oak I'd say.Osage would handle that a lot better but I suppose if you had some it would be up here now.The osage I think would of kept your weight up higher too.Going down in weight on the red oak is helping it I think.Heat treating it might gain some poundage for you but then I'd be leary of the back then.Hickory can handle that but I don't know about red oak.Rawhide over it I think would be good security myself.Even linen string backing would make it more durable too.
I did a linen string backing on a KCT bow once.Made it almost unbreakable.It gained almost 8 pounds in draw weight then too after the linen string backing was glued on.It was a 64" bow too.Twenty eight 12 ply strands length wise on the back.That meant for each 4 strands I gained 1 pound in poundage.
All in all your doing pretty darn good I'd say.The bow looks nice.After heat treating I have a 10 day rule.That's just me.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 09:46:57 pm by Beadman »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed