Author Topic: Fred Arnold 2017 bow trade sign up closed, reserves needed though  (Read 19708 times)

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
Re: Fred Arnold 2017 bow trade sign up - list on page 3
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2017, 08:05:06 am »
I would like to join this year but unfortunately will have to sit this one out.  I am working to get my house ready to sell, plan to then sell my house and move.  I also hope to be starting a new job soon.  Also have a son graduating high school.  I fear if I joined my wife would not be very happy with me. 

I plan to watch this trade though.  I had a blast with last years trade.  Oh, did I mention that I now have a treasured bow made of yew that was expertly crafted by Jeffp51.  The stave came from Fred Arnold.  The only way that bow could be taken from me will be to pry it from my cold, dead hand!! 

I also had a lot of fun building a bow for someone else.  Normal little errors in a bow for myself suddenly became huge issues.  Participating definatley made me a better bowyer. 

Have fun everyone.  Mike

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2017, 08:22:23 am »
Thanks for the info Mike, can definitely see why you haven't got the time! Good luck with the house move and everything.  Feels a bit weird having 3 sign up for next year already >:D

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2017, 11:50:15 am »
If there's anyone out there who is on the fence due to a lack of materials, I would be more than happy to donate to their efforts.  I'll have to take some pictures, but if you would like to make a backed bow, I have either ipe or yew I could send along with a bamboo backing.
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline gfugal

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2017, 11:54:07 am »
If there's anyone out there who is on the fence due to a lack of materials, I would be more than happy to donate to their efforts.  I'll have to take some pictures, but if you would like to make a backed bow, I have either ipe or yew I could send along with a bamboo backing.
That sounds fun. But I'm sure I can scrounge up something If i need to. Springbuck has offered to give me some billets. I'll take your offer if no one else does, but it should probably go to someone more in need.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2017, 11:58:49 am »
And I e got lots of Black locust and some hickory staves I can donate to someone, if they need material. They just have to come here and get it. I have them in a barn loft and can't get up there right now.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2017, 12:03:00 pm »
Did you find out anymore information on your eye Kyle? I maybe shouldn't ask but very curious.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2017, 01:14:55 pm »
Not yet. The appointment Is at 2:45. I'm hoping to get a date for when they remove the lens material from it. I'll give an update as soon as I find out.

Kyle

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2017, 05:14:23 pm »
I got my fingers crossed for ya bud. Hope you get some good news.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2017, 05:34:08 pm »
It sounds like its healing well. They're going to go in and remove the lens material in about 10 days to 2 weeks. Then it'll be about 6-8 weeks before they put the lens in. But he said after this second surgery I'll be able to do stuff like bow building again before they put the lens in. That'll be about the time the boot is off for good and I can put full weight on my foot. So I should be good to go for the trade. But I've essentially got about 3 months if there is no retina troubles before I'm patched up.

Kyle

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2017, 07:12:25 pm »
You've been known to crank out a bow in a weekend so I don't see the later start causing any problems for you, Kyle.  :BB (New smiley's, SWEET!!!)

Also, glad to hear you're regenerating as expected.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2017, 08:29:53 am »
Sounds like good news all round

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2017, 02:06:15 pm »
Bump. Six days left to sign up!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2017, 09:27:04 pm »
Sounds like all good news Kyle. Thanks for the update
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2017, 11:53:09 pm »
I would like to join this year but unfortunately will have to sit this one out.  I am working to get my house ready to sell, plan to then sell my house and move.  I also hope to be starting a new job soon.  Also have a son graduating high school.  I fear if I joined my wife would not be very happy with me. 

I plan to watch this trade though.  I had a blast with last years trade.  Oh, did I mention that I now have a treasured bow made of yew that was expertly crafted by Jeffp51.  The stave came from Fred Arnold.  The only way that bow could be taken from me will be to pry it from my cold, dead hand!! 

I also had a lot of fun building a bow for someone else.  Normal little errors in a bow for myself suddenly became huge issues.  Participating definatley made me a better bowyer. 

Have fun everyone.  Mike

Mike, when are you moving, and where to? Are you just upgrading, or are you relocating?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2017, 04:31:01 pm »
Ok everyone, so sign up ends officially midnight pacific time, Friday night, that gives all you undecided ones 5 days to sign up, i'll be drawing names from my hat mid day uk time on the 12th, so I will accept last minute entries up till then...... anyone can sign up as a reserve though, right up until the middle of August for the random reserves and extras draw. Go on, sign up, you know you want to😀