Author Topic: Ideas for removing spilled superglue on Hard Arkansas Stone  (Read 2726 times)

Offline Limbwalker

Ideas for removing spilled superglue on Hard Arkansas Stone
« on: February 22, 2017, 05:09:20 pm »
I have a little pocket stone I have really liked and has been very useful when I'm out in the woods. Well I dropped it and it broke in half. I decided to glue it back together. I had some cheap superglue and I was trying in to make sure it didn't squeeze out of the crack onto the surface. I accomplished the the opposite. Way more came out of the tube than I thought.

Anyway when it happened I didn't try to wipe it off, for fear that I would end up rubbing it in. Is there a good way to resurface the stone? Thanks
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 07:56:26 pm by Limbwalker »

Offline JonW

Re: Ideas for removing spilled superglue on Hard Arkansas Stone
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 05:27:01 pm »
Acetone?

Offline Limbwalker

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 05:34:20 pm »
Hey thanks, I don't know anything about acetone, I've just never crossed paths with it my life. I would be willing to give it a shot. The stone is not my only stone and not expensive so if it does get ruined it's not a terrible loss, but I'd like to keep it functional.

Unless I think of something or anyone has a better idea I'll get some acetone and try it. Thank you Jon

Edit: Ah Acetone is nail polish remover, I take back what I said about it, I have used it before.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 06:53:16 pm »
I'd rub it with 400-600 grit wet sand paper.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Limbwalker

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 07:02:11 pm »
Thanks mullet, I will try that first for sure. I will update how it goes in case someone in the future has a similar issue, thanks both of you for taking time to think about an answer

Offline Limbwalker

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 08:32:50 pm »
Many thanks Mullet, I used 400 grit, that's what I had and it worked just fine. I used dish soap and wire brush to clean it after sanding. Problem solved. Thanks gentlemen for your replies.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 08:55:25 pm »
I'm not sure I'd trust that. A super glue joint between your hand and a sharp blade. Gives me the willies just thinking about it.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 11:01:33 pm »
I agree with DC - might want to be sure it is one solid base before you use it.  I would think a good epoxy or maybe TB3 would be better. Or retire the pieces to a fine abraider for knapping or shaping bone points 😀😥!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Limbwalker

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 12:31:00 am »
I hear you guys, I don't really hold it in my hand, that stone there is just for honing a blade. I set it down on something (stump or something like that)  yeah superglue is funny in my experience, with stone, sometimes it works real well if applied correctly and sometimes not. I might retire it to another task like you mentioned. Like I said though it's never is my hand while I'm using it. More likely damage the blade than anything. I cannot feel the crack when I use it. Anyway I'll order another one. Thanks guys

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 01:38:08 am »
I broke an Arkansas wet stone and CA glued it back together and have had no issues with the repair thus far. Using a stone holder instead of your palm is probably still a good extra measure to take. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Limbwalker

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 12:59:58 pm »
Dakotakid, I agree with you, it is working fine. I have never used my palm to sharpen my blades. I always use two hands on my blades to keep the angle consistent. I'm pretty picky when it comes to sharpening. I think the other guys were just concerned "if" I was using my palm or something like that.

I just rest the stone on a flat surface when I'm out in the woods, never had a problem with it sliding around.  I have another little stone that is more coarse that I use first, then the the stone in the picture and finally strop it on a piece of leather. Works good and all that can easily fit in my pocket. Just don't drop it when taking it out of your pocket  :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 02:39:50 pm »
Glad that worked for you. And if you're pressing hard enough on that stone while sharpening, to break it again you are not doing your knife any favors.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Limbwalker

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 07:58:48 pm »
Thanks Mullet, the answer was staring me in the face the whole time :) your definitely right, I won't be doing any hand stands on it. Honing is my favourite part of sharpening, don't know why it's so satisfying to me. Thanks again you saved me from doing something stupid, Cheers