Author Topic: Over top tru oil?  (Read 870 times)

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Over top tru oil?
« on: February 23, 2017, 08:03:43 am »
I think I know the answer to this question but then again maybe not. I'm finishing up a bow for my daughter in law. It's a HHB and although I'm happy with it I'm thinking I might want some snake skins on it someday in the future. Can I glue on skins over tru oil? I have always used TB2 on a bare back in the past. Just wondering about my options. Thanks
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Online Eric Krewson

Re: Over top tru oil?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 08:39:57 am »
I would think not but I have never tried to put skins over truoil so it is just an opinion and not based on experience.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:45:02 am by Eric Krewson »

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 08:54:55 am »
Thanks Eric, that was what I thought also. I sure wouldn't try it with rawhide or a real backing but was wondering about snake skins. I think guys must put them on FG because when I looked up directions somewhere they talked about putting on FG but I didn't read them.
Bjrogg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 12:38:52 pm »
You could lightly scrape the Tru-Oil off, sand the back, add the skins then reapply the Tru-Oil.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 01:47:42 pm »
Thanks Pat, I've got some scrap pieces of snake skins. I think I might experiment with them.
Bjrogg