Author Topic: Plains Warclub  (Read 3998 times)

Offline Peatreg

Plains Warclub
« on: February 23, 2017, 11:45:50 am »
Fresh out of the workshop!! Plains style war club. The club head is made out of catlinite which is what they used for the bowls of their pipes. It's a soft stone easily worked with hand, files, etc.  It's also known as pipe stone for the above mentioned reason. Pipestone, MN has a well known quarry where this stone was acquired. (https://www.nps.gov/pipe/index.htm)

The long handle (meant for use on horseback) is covered in stitched rawhide using real sinew. It's also stained with red ocher.  Attached is a brain tanned buffalo tail stained with red ocher and beaded at the top with a single hawk bell. A red ribbon and a spoil of war complete the club

Hope you enjoy!!

Offline Jodocus

Re: Plains Warclub
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 12:19:20 pm »
very nice. I like the buffalo tail and the finger.
Don't shoot!

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 12:23:50 pm »
Thumbs up.   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Peatreg

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 01:17:27 pm »
I was hoping for two thumbs up but alas I only have the one! Lol

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 02:30:55 pm »
I bet that would put a not on your head. >:D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Peatreg

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 03:04:16 pm »
This one is battle ready!!

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 04:33:12 am »
Well done, very nice ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 08:41:06 am »
more beautiful work, love it. :)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 12:32:47 pm »
You can't put a thumb on there on not explain what's going on!!!  Is that something that was a tradition as a trophy?
What's that thing made out of??
1’—>1’

Offline Peatreg

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 07:00:31 pm »
LOL

Well for one thing I'm not sure exactly what it's made from but it has a fingerprint and no joke looks and feels real. Kinda freaky I will admit. I recently ordered some quality replica bear claws from a gentleman and he happens to also make fake fingers and thumbs. Unbeknownst to me he placed this thumb in with the claws and I didn't spot it until weeks later. Didn't know what to do with it until I made this club and thought what better place!!

Mutilation of your enemies was fairly common among the plains tribes. By doing that it prevented them from harming you in the next life according to their beliefs. It could be possible that a warrior would decorate his prized war club with this trophy.  I've even read about necklaces with fingers or finger bones on them.  Torture was more common amongst the woodland tribes than it was among the plains tribes. In Woodland culture it was a way to test your enemies bravery and also done to take revenge on the loss of your tribe member. Eastern tribes were far more likely to adopt you however into their tribes than plains tribes. There are more knowledgeable people about this than I am and like I've heard said, never say always and never say never

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 11:33:58 am »
Very cool Peatreg.Love it.Not to rob your thread here but.....
I once took a buffalo tail and sewed it around a tapered dowel with leather covered beaded dowel out the base of tail as the handle.I called it my quirt but used it to swat flies.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 09:48:01 pm »
Peatreg, looks like you've stumbled across Mr. Bezold's handy crafts. I think he makes all of this stuff out of resin. He does great work,,,,,,, very realistic. His grizzly claws are top of the line.
There are a number of trophy finger necklaces in museum collections. The best known is a Cheyenne necklace with eight fingers.       Curtis

Offline Peatreg

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 11:47:43 pm »
He snuck that thumb in with a set of claws I ordered from him. I'm breaking from the norm and using mountain lion instead of otter on my claw necklace

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 08:49:58 am »
 Very nice work on that war club, I like your style. The Utes decorated a lot of their war clubs and quirts with buffalo tails.  Great job!
Northern Ute