Author Topic: Shoot ID  (Read 2226 times)

Offline DuBois

Shoot ID
« on: February 23, 2017, 01:45:09 pm »
This grows all around here north of Minneapolis in clumps along roads and little ponds and such. Lots of straight shoots so I got some but not sure what it is.

Anybody know.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Shoot ID
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 02:32:58 pm »
Hard to tell from pictures. Is it cotton wood? I can't say if it is poor arrow material or not. Guess you could always harvest a bit, let it cure and see what kind of a shaft it makes. I believe there was Red Osier in some of those pictures but it might be one you already harvested. Sorry I'm not much help here. I'm just looking on my phone.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 05:56:21 pm »
Looks like willow to me. If it is it will make an arrow but you'll have to use larger diameter to achieve higher spine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 08:43:31 pm »
I am going to have to go along with Pat, looks like willow to me also, not sure of what kind of arrow it will make. Bob

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 12:09:19 pm »
It looks like willow to me too.  I made some arrows from it and found it doesn't compare to red osier.  It did not want to stay straight even though when cut it was very straight. 

Mike

Offline DuBois

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 10:09:43 pm »
Ya know whats funny is right after I cut some of this I drove around the bend and saw a big field with a LOT of red osier. Guess no reason to mess with other unknown stuff when I have plenty of the good stuff.