Author Topic: hickory backed osage recurve  (Read 1457 times)

Offline mxalex229

hickory backed osage recurve
« on: February 23, 2017, 06:28:03 pm »
First gorgeous day of the year here in MA. Decided to get cracking on this project for the second attempt. only got as far as heat bending the forms in today for the set back handle and the static recurves. The handle is really thick for now, I plan on working down the middle and having two ring like structures of osage on each side of the handle. My theory is that those will help reduce hand shock at the handle, plus I think it might make for a cool look when finished  8).

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: hickory backed osage recurve
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 09:29:35 pm »
Looks like a nice piece of wood you got there. Good luck with this one!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 09:44:40 pm »
I don't understand the part about the "ring-like" structures, but the rest looks like you are off to a good start.  I had trouble with rift sawn wood wanting to lean to one side on m,e years ago, so watch for that.  Those were Perry reflexed, though, and using a wood I since gave up on, jatoba.

Offline mxalex229

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 02:18:31 pm »
Got the glue up done today. No pictures yet. Wrapped the limbs with bicycle tubing to keep it tight under the clamps. It was very tricky trying to get everything lined up under tension with the glue. In total I counted 11 pieces, 5 layers at the handle and 5 layers at each tip with only two layers running the full length of the bow. Definitely a test of my patience and speed under the pressure of the unibond set speed with all the clamps.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 06:07:09 pm »
Set back grip with a rather long recurve means a very short working limb ,should be killer fast or a bit much ?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline mxalex229

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 07:29:10 pm »
I'm hoping killer fast. It's going to be a hard tiller, and it's very possibly going to break. We will see

Offline mxalex229

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 06:24:31 pm »
Got the bow out of the mold today, and had enough time to sand off the excess glue. Shape came out alright, though it appears on limb may be slightly more reflexed.