Author Topic: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, Pictures Please, housekeeping issues  (Read 150540 times)

Offline DuBois

Re: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, progress updates, questions and chat
« Reply #135 on: March 26, 2017, 12:01:49 am »
Kinda looks like a banana! Got some bendin to do Tim but I believe in you. I would really like paint/artwork if it were me.

Hey Thing, I have reused sinew once and it comes off easy but can get messy too. If you put it on a bow and change your mind, I wouldn't expect to be salvaging the wood part of the bow, just the sinew.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #136 on: March 26, 2017, 03:21:45 am »
The only bow I reclaimed the sinew from wasn't damaged at all by removing the sinew. I just let it soak until it all wanted to come off. I had to wait  for the wood to dry out, but it survived. Maybe that isn't the norm and I just had some beginner's luck.

I'm a few days out from having something worthy of photographing and posting. I have 3 in the works at the moment. There's a 3 piece take down recurve, a yet undecided rock elm stave, and a fairly snakey pyramid-ish american elm. I also recently harvested some of the cleanest crab apple I've ever found. It won't be dry anytime soon, but will be before the trade is done. If the other 3 don't cooperate, the apple should be good by the time it takes me to ruin those.  :laugh:
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2017, 12:14:48 pm »
Wow I'm learning more from this trade than I have since I became a member.

Offline PatM

« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2017, 12:32:54 pm »
The only bow I reclaimed the sinew from wasn't damaged at all by removing the sinew. I just let it soak until it all wanted to come off. I had to wait  for the wood to dry out, but it survived. Maybe that isn't the norm and I just had some beginner's luck.

I'm a few days out from having something worthy of photographing and posting. I have 3 in the works at the moment. There's a 3 piece take down recurve, a yet undecided rock elm stave, and a fairly snakey pyramid-ish american elm. I also recently harvested some of the cleanest crab apple I've ever found. It won't be dry anytime soon, but will be before the trade is done. If the other 3 don't cooperate, the apple should be good by the time it takes me to ruin those.  :laugh:

It's definitely still pretty easy to remove it without damaging the wood but most sinew re-claiming projects are because the wood has failed in some way already. If the belly is damaged you can greatly speed up the removal by just breaking the bow deliberately by bending it backward and splitting as much wood as posssible away from the backing.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2017, 01:43:32 pm »
How do i know when it's cured? I've read how some wrap in silk till it dries

Offline DuBois

« Reply #140 on: March 27, 2017, 06:02:35 pm »
Dependent somewhat on humidity and how thick you put it on. Some people wait several months to even years and I guess it probably does continue to cure to some extent, but I give it a month or more inside with controlled environment. It will always wax and wane a little with the humidity of the seasons I am told, but never really checked or noticed it much myself.

Did I miss something? Is Fred Arnold Ok? Haven't seen anything from him and I got a bad feeling  this was a memorial bow trade. I'm wrong right?

Offline DuBois

« Reply #141 on: March 27, 2017, 06:24:00 pm »
Started into this stave after I saw but tracks on the ERC  >:(
Was considering turning them into billets at first but I think the longer one will work out.
Getting her straight enough for a bendy handle. Got the twist and the side to side correction in one shot  ;D

Offline DuBois

« Reply #142 on: March 27, 2017, 06:26:37 pm »
Got one tip where I want it at least  :OK

Bottom is what it started like
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 06:31:10 pm by DuBois »

Offline PatM

« Reply #143 on: March 27, 2017, 06:57:41 pm »
[quote author=DuBois link=topic=59831.msg837846#msg837846 date=1490645603

Did I miss something? Is Fred Arnold Ok? Haven't seen anything from him and I got a bad feeling  this was a memorial bow trade. I'm wrong right?
[/quote]

Sadly it is a memorial.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #144 on: March 27, 2017, 08:35:12 pm »
Aww man, that stinks. I'm a little behind on things and slow on the uptake. Now it makes more sense that it is in his honor.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #145 on: March 27, 2017, 09:19:01 pm »
So someone is probably going to get one of these. Got these semi roughed out. Left to right yew, oceanspray, plum, hazel. Elb's/ bendy D-bows. Sorry for the bad quality pics. Still haven't figured out photo bucket. Cheers- Brendan

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #146 on: March 27, 2017, 10:13:00 pm »
Great start to this bow trade.
Northern Ute

Offline DuBois

« Reply #147 on: March 27, 2017, 11:47:35 pm »
I agree. What you workin on Marlen? You might as well just get after it-you odn't think you'll really be able to just sit by and watch as a reserve do ya?

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #148 on: March 28, 2017, 12:01:26 am »
Well that was the plan. Lol.  I have a couple in the works I have a juniper I sinew backed and a few elm staves I'm working on.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 12:14:06 am by Redhand »
Northern Ute

Offline DuBois

« Reply #149 on: March 28, 2017, 08:23:01 am »
Just messin with ya. But seriously, one of your bows would be a great surprise for somebody.