Author Topic: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, Pictures Please, housekeeping issues  (Read 150523 times)

Offline High-Desert

Re: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, progress updates, questions and chat
« Reply #390 on: June 23, 2017, 09:25:42 am »
Progress update with no pics. Got the hunk of yew strung up and tips aligned. At this point I decided to leave the natural deflex in the stave. I may take it out if it looks like set, only because it will bother me. Found a couple knots in the middle of the limb that are a bit hollow. I may leave them alone or do some inlay.
Eric

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #391 on: June 23, 2017, 11:00:19 am »
I have a yew bow with temporary nocks braced and pulling to about 20"
This will be a lower weight warbow, it's a little out of my guys specs, I hope he doesn't mind!
My computer is crap and won't link to my phone, so posting pics had been a pain the last while.
Maybe I'll bug Clint again  ;D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 06:35:33 pm by wizardgoat »

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #392 on: June 23, 2017, 12:17:14 pm »
Gonna do the prize draw Monday this month.
My lap top just died and this tablet won't post photos so I fully sympathise with wizardgoat. Will post my photos when I next get to work.  Any objections if wg is placed in the draw? Anybody else with technical difficulties pm me

« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 12:25:34 pm by stuckinthemud »

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #393 on: June 23, 2017, 12:45:11 pm »
Warbows are sweet goat! No objections here stuck. I have made some progress on the bows I'm working on. Should be able to get some pics up this weekend!

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #394 on: June 23, 2017, 04:18:19 pm »
I got my laurel bow to brace and as I started working it I found there was a lot of positive tiller with the longer top limb being too strong and unbalancing the bow. By the time I got the bow balanced, the bottom limb had taken an inch of set. Looks kinda cool as both limbs have the same D/R profile now where one was almost straight before. Thing is, on top of its natural 1" reflex and 1" set and 3/8" string follow, string tension is not looking good. I haven't put an arrow through it yet, got nothing suitably spined.  Draw weight is spot on though.  This laurel is not easy to heat-bend but there is also a natural twist in the one limb, nothing drastic at about 20 degrees. My own feeling is to fletch some arrows and put through 100 and see what happens but I could attempt to heat some reflex into the handle, or even pike the bow but then should I would worry about stressing the bottom limb causing more set? you can see where the one limb is lifted off the floor by the twist. Any thoughts?

« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 08:55:14 am by stuckinthemud »

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #395 on: June 24, 2017, 11:51:56 am »
No objections here about WG being in the drawing.
Here's where I am with tillering. I want as much criticism as I can get on the tiller. It's 8" handle fade area, 1-5/8" wide to midlimb tapered to 5/8" tips. Bottom limb (left) is 2" shorter than top limb.
I think mid limbs need to come around a bit.
Eric

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #396 on: June 24, 2017, 11:52:39 am »
Here's the pic
Eric

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #397 on: June 26, 2017, 07:51:53 am »
So I strung her up flexed a few times removed some wood and then I made a booboo I left it strung for a bit.  But all of the reflex I put into it left which i expected eventually and now it is straight and pulls the requested weight. Ill post pictures tonight!

Offline DuBois

« Reply #398 on: June 26, 2017, 09:02:59 am »
HD-I'm seeing from 5th vertical line to just past red writing a tiny bit stiff on right and same area on left but needing more removed. I could easily be wrong though. 

Offline DuBois

« Reply #399 on: June 26, 2017, 09:09:23 am »
Every time I do this trade I get hit with some of lifes twist and turns. Will be going to Kansas for a brothers memorial soon and another dog buried...maybe it's just the way it goes getting older. I'm waiting on a Stave Press I ordered from Jon and decided to just wait to work on the bows til it gets here this week. Then I better get busy.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #400 on: June 26, 2017, 10:17:14 am »
I set back the handle til the tips and handle lined up on Saturday. Today I went and put some shots through it and ended Up with an inch of string follow but pretty decent performance. Should I temper the limbs and straighten them a little and should I back them?

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #401 on: June 26, 2017, 06:33:26 pm »
Looking good guys. Got this plum evened out. Cut 6 inches off of one limb. It's about 62 1/2" long now. 1 1/4 wide until about  13 " from the tips tapering to 7/8" at the tip. It's got about 3 inches or so reflex. It's floor tillered with a nice even bend. But my tillering string wore out and I gotta make one tonight. I'll get some pics of it on a tree soon! Cheers- Brendan 

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #402 on: June 26, 2017, 10:55:24 pm »
Thanks DuBios. I hope everything turns out alright.

Continued tullering a bit more. Workin on getting that upper limb to come around. The picture is with the bow on its pressure points. It pulls nice, but it looks like the right (upper) limb need a bit more
Eric

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #403 on: June 26, 2017, 10:56:00 pm »
Pic
Eric

Offline DuBois

« Reply #404 on: June 26, 2017, 11:15:46 pm »
Thanks Eric,
Lookin damn close. You thinkin maybe just a tad past the fade on the right? That limb is 2" longer right. I really like your set up for being able to see where the tips are getting to.