Author Topic: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, Pictures Please, housekeeping issues  (Read 149941 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, progress updates, questions and chat
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2017, 01:32:35 pm »
If you take off the sapwood the heartwood would have to be backed - all heart-wood yew bows don't survive very long but backed yew bows can be wicked fast

Offline gfugal

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2017, 01:46:09 pm »
Haha I don't know way anyone wouldn't want to recieve a yew bow.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2017, 02:33:44 pm »
[quote author=Dakota Kid link=topic=59831.msg836055#msg836055 date=1489757972

Then again, I suppose it would be equally unpleasant to watch you get over-worked, stressed out and have a melt down. It is intended to be an enjoyable experience after all.
[/quote]
That's what I'm worried about Dakota. I really feel the urge to say I'm in, but I know I've already got a lot of promises made and I do want to keep this fun. My spare time will be very slim before I know it. Sorry guys but I think I'd  probably be wise to pass this one. Maybe next year I'll have these promise bows out of the way.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2017, 07:26:52 pm »
Got the yew tree cutting permit approved, so I'm for the day to snowshoe through the timber to find a tree. My victim doesn't have a choice but to receive a yew bow, it's all I have readily available.
Does anyone have preferences? Sapwood on it off?

Eric

The contrast between the sap and heart woods is one of yew's best qualities,  both for performance and for aesthetics.  You may have to remove some sapwood to get a good ratio though. You can look at just about any bow wizardgoat has ever posted to get an idea for what ratio you're shooting for. Chasing a ring is nearly impossible, but it's about the only wood where you can get away with violating rings. At least that's what Del says, and he's worked a lot of yew.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline DuBois

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2017, 10:11:58 pm »
Red Arrow, that's some nice wood you got there! That DBar must be a heck of a guy!
Glad to see a couple more in the trade  :OK

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2017, 10:28:15 pm »
I've roughed out a bald cypress stave. Used the whole power washer method to remove the bark and all, now it's smooth as glass. Question once I get ready down the road to apply sinew should I scuff the back with sand paper before hand. I know it's jumping the gun but if I ask now one less thing to worry about. (=)

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2017, 02:36:12 am »
Chasing  a ring is extremely tedious but doable, and I only do it if sapwood isn't an option, or if it's being back, or damages to sapwood, which is pretty common. I've never seen failures from heartwood only bows. The only reason for this that make sense if people don't follow a growth ring and violate the rings indiscriminatly, but sapwood violations don't seem to be a problem at all.
Ive got one of my easiness yew staves picked out, as well as the 16 fresh staves my buddy helped me harvest today to replace my dwindling stash.
Eric

Offline DuBois

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2017, 09:53:16 am »
Never yet shot a yew bow but hope to someday.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2017, 10:28:24 am »
There might be a few yew bows flying around this trade DuBois. You might get to shoot one yet. Cheers- Brendan

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2017, 11:30:26 am »
For those living in areas where wild yew doesn't grow, keep your eyes open for the overgrown ornamental varieties.  Every once and a while you can find one that has been neglected long enough that there is usable wood available. Often times if you offer free removal of the tree and stump the owner will take you up on it. If they seem hesitant, throw in the fact that it is highly toxic and that usually does the trick. I know of at least a half a dozen trees around my town I'd love to get my hands on. There's one in the cemetery that must have at least 15-20 trunks 4"-6" diameter mostly branch free. There's another in someone's yard that was never trimmed. It towers over their house and looks like a hemlock at first glance.

It also never hurts to leave your name with local landscapers and tree services. If they cut them down they usually chip and shred, so they are more than happy to see it put to use.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline PatM

« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2017, 11:37:46 am »
Many of those are not even ornamental cultivars. They are just typical yew trees. Very common in Toronto.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2017, 12:17:48 pm »
Yippee! Last two joined the trade at the last second and that makes 20 of us, including reserves. This is gonna be fantastic😁

Victims will be sent out by end of Monday, but, at least one person hasn't sent me draw length , weight, or hand.

Don't forget to pm me a postal address or you'll never get your bow though.

Ok everyone, time to post some photos of potential staves, and mugshots (not compulsory 😀 )

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2017, 01:54:44 pm »
This is great. That's quite a few last minute joins. I'm beyond excited about this who thing.

Eric
Eric

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2017, 07:10:46 am »
Want to say a quick hello to Marlenmurdoch our newest Reserve!  Welcome to the trade Marlen  :D

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2017, 08:13:36 am »
 Best of luck guys on a smooth and happy trade.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise