Author Topic: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, Pictures Please, housekeeping issues  (Read 150561 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Here's the tiller on the back up bow. I noticed I need to rewrite the draw length. I must have had a brain fart when I wrote it in there. It's 65# at 26" not the 28" I have wrote on it. I need to fix that.

Kyle

Offline upstatenybowyer

Nice lookin' bend Mo!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline gfugal

I agree. It Looks good Mo.

So for the locust bow I got it braced. It looks good from the side but the string alignment is a little wonky.

I thined out and evened up the limbs for the juniper bow, but I tried bending out some twist but it wouldn't bend for the life of me. I tried isolated dry heat, I tried steaming for an hour. Nothing worked. Maybe juniper just doesn't bend. Any experience out there altering Juniper bows shapes?
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline bushboy

Looking good guys!where's the twist Mr fugal?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Same thought Crossed my mind, I can't see any significant twist. Only thing I found works with really obstinate timber is boiling

Offline gfugal

The juniper bow has a slight propeller twist mid limb on both sides going in opposite directions (It's not the bow pictured in the previous post, that was the locust bow). The twists aren't too bad and could be tillered accordingly I believe, But it's going to require some skill to get the string alignment right which I hope I could do. They are so far in the middle of the limb that I don't think I have a pot large enough to boil them  :-\. Looks like I'm going to need to pay a visit to the correcting limb twist page. Due to the deadline coming up, I think I'm going to forgo sinewing it, and just go with a linen backing that I'll try to prestress onto it. I might have to put the locust bow on the back burner and just focus solely on the Juniper since that's the one I originally planned on giving away in the trade.
Greg,

Offline gfugal

CRAP! photo bucket got rid of the limb twist pictures. Dang. Anybody have those pictures saved by chance?
Greg,

Offline bushboy

My boy is out of hospital so I have a bit of time now.is the deadline Sept 15 or the end of sept?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

But meanwhile my shop wants me to work 7/12's,no pardons I will deliver on time!

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Deadline is end of September, but I'm happy as long as you keep in touch for you to dispatch late. Better a really good bow late than a rushed job on time, besides, I'm absolutely certain at least one other builder is running late. Enjoy having your boy home, do what you can with the time you have, family comes first, really glad he's on the mend.

Offline Gaur

Well I've been in way over my head on a carpentry project .  I leave for DR Congo on Aug 30 and will be bringing two billets of Osage with to work on there .  I get back sept 13 and will have it tillered by then.  Also have some guava staves over there that I cut and pre shaped last trip in march for options

I'll get it done but will take it down to the wire  :BB
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline bushboy

I find the best way to untwist wood is to place a padded Cresent wrench horizontal c/w some weight.add some dry heat and watch for some movement,let cool with the jig in place.i could do a mock up photo if you don't get what I mean.

Offline gfugal

That's actually what I did. I had an 8-10 inch wrench and tied two full gallons of water hanging off the end (which was 16 lbs). I tried dry heating it first, but it wouldn't do it, then I tried steaming, still, a no go. I think I'll just deal with it.
Greg,

Offline bushboy

Well here's plan B!

Offline bushboy

Braced