Author Topic: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, Pictures Please, housekeeping issues  (Read 150564 times)

Offline penderbender

• island life...
That's got a sweet profile bushboy! Cheers- Brendan

Offline bushboy

I have a nice little piece of North western european bog oak,roughly between 5 to 10 thousand years old ,will make fitting tips for a molly design!at the tidy price of 2 buck!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
That's pretty cool. That will add a nice touch. Cheers- Brendan

Offline bushboy

Overlays done,looks like ebony.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline DuBois

You make some fine lookin bows Bushy

Offline penderbender

• island life...
That tip looks awesome. Someone's gonna enjoy that bow! Cheers- Brendan

Offline High-Desert

Sure, I'll take that one Bushboy.
Eric

Offline bushboy

Thanks!i have developed a method with a disk Grinder that only take about 40minutes a bow.maybe I will do a tip along soon?they are just over 1/4" wide,but I have made them considerbly narrower.

Offline gfugal

Well The Juniper bow is getting pretty close to brace height. It's pulling about 52# at 14 inches.

What's really weird is this bow has a drastically different thickness for the two limbs (I don't know if you can notice in the picture). The top limb (left) is much thicker than the bottom limb (right). But what's even stranger when I find the exact center line and try to balance the bow it leans towards the bottom limb (right) despite it being much thinner than the top limb. This was a spliced billet bow, but both pieces of wood came from the same branch. So, I'm wondering if there is some type of compression wood business going on. The bottom limb must have been on the bottom of the branch and is denser than the top limb.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 10:58:09 am by gfugal »
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline gfugal

So I have both good and bad news. Good news is I'm going to be a father next week!! My wife is getting induced on Tuesday because she has preeclampsia. The due date was originally the 4th of October. I'm hoping everything goes well. The bad news is that since the baby is coming a month early I don't know if I'll have enough time to finish by end of September. I was hoping to get everything done in the weeks before the due date but I guess plans change.  I might be able to work on it a little bit during paternity leave but wife and baby come first. I would still like to complete my bow and send it out, but I don't know how my Victim would like waiting. I would also love to still receive a bow, but I'm not sure how that works if it's decided to send my victim a reserve's bow instead. Would the bow I finish later go to the reserve? 
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
Congrats on entering fatherhood!! I still remember when I first became a daddy. Now the girls are 10 and 12, time flies. It was the best thing that ever happened to me and probably kept me from doing a lot of dumb things I would have done otherwise.

I can't imagine anyone would have a problem with you being a little late on delivery especially with your excuse being such a good one. As was already stated, "better to get a good bow late, then a rushed one that's below par".  Your updates also make it clear that you should have a completed bow before long next year's trade rolls around. I'd wait to hear from stuckinthemud for your final call on the matter, but if I'm your victim I have no problem waiting.

Update on my bows: The elm was adjusted again, clamped to my newly built caul and has kept the shape. Final tillering will start this weekend. I've decided to finish the 3 piece takedown as well and see what the final product looks like before I rule it out. I also started to rough out an apple wood stave I harvested this winter. I doubt it will be my trade bow, but who knows. I figured I'd mention it just in case. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline bushboy

If it's for me ,no rush,i have lots of bows!congrats man,it will change your world!

Offline upstatenybowyer

There's no greater and more wonderful game changer in the world than becoming a dad. If it's for me, no worries at all. Like Bush, I've got plenty! Try not to worry about the birth, those doctors know exactly what they're doing.  ;)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Same as the others. If it's coming my way. There's no big hurry, as long as it's not so long that I forget that it's coming. But then again, it would make for a nice surprise.

Kyle

Offline penderbender

• island life...
I am with the rest of these guys. Congrats, I have 3 kids as well so I know how busy you will be. Don't rush it. Cheers- Brendan