Author Topic: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, Pictures Please, housekeeping issues  (Read 147855 times)

Offline DuBois

Yeah man!!
Congrats on the baby to come and best wishes in the delivery.
If your bow is coming to me then don't even sweat it if it's late. You are most likely gonna need sleep as a top priority for a while.
Boy or girl?
Put a couple dozen arrows through the bow today and will shoot a bunch tomorrow. I'll get some pics of the profile braced and unbraced asap.

Offline bushboy

Well here is plan B.it has taken a bit of set but I'm okay with that,i really didn't reflex it much,just a medium heat treating.was going for a smooth shooting accurate hunting bow!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

Just unbraced,critique on the tiller welcome!think I'm gonna dress this one up and do my standard frog skin finish.i'm on the fence wether to do a leather handle or a jute wrap?thoughts?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline DuBois

How many frogs do you have to skin for that?

Looks fine to me as it is. I kinda like cordage wrap handles

Offline upstatenybowyer

Looks really nice Bush. Tiller looks great. For some reason that bow says leather handle to me.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
I vote leather. My first few handles were wrapped cordage. Then I switched to leather and haven't gone back since. Just a personal preference. If I want a wrapped cordage look, I use leather cord. I've left a couple bare wood and like that as well. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline bushboy

Thx's!dubois I use black and green rit dye that looks somewhat like frog skin to me !lol

Offline bushboy

Front,c/w skinny tips

Offline upstatenybowyer

BB I must admit I'm kinda relieved to hear that about the rit dye. Something kinda unsettling about offing that many frogs and skinning them for a bow  :o LOL
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Well, I go away for a few days and you guys really get busy!
Gfugal; that's fabulous news, boy are things gonna get busy, especially if you get the night shift  ;) 

OK, so, if you need a lot of extra time (or anyone else for that matter), then, you or me can contact your victim and give them the choice of what they want to do (receive the unfinished bow and finish it themselves, wait, or go with the reserve bow).  If your victim does opt for the reserve's bow but you still want to give and get a bow then you can send to the reserve instead and keep your place in the Trade.  Everyone who gives a bow will get a bow in return.

Communication is the key, if I know what's going on I can make arrangements to work with everyone concerned.  If I do not know what is going on then I get very, very, worried. For example, Gaur is out of the country, but, we all know what's going on so its not a problem  Gfugal is not alone in having life get in the way, and as I have already stated, life got in my way last year but I kept Fred informed by PM and we were able to work around things. 

I'd love to send out postal addresses this week or next but there are two builders who have not posted to this Trade for a while. I would really appreciate it if you would post a progress update or send me a PM guys!!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 03:18:07 am by stuckinthemud »

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Busboy, that looks great ! +1 on a leather grip.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
My PM inbox is at 98% full, gonna spend some time deleting old PMs I don't need anymore. Any/all you guys with full PM inboxes better clear out some space or you won't be able to receive your victim's postal address.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

Man there's some nice bows being made on here! I've been in transition on moving to my new bow shop/Garage this year, cant wait till next years bow trade Ill be ready to :BB make a bow for it.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Everything's looking really good at the moment, hope you're all gonna be OK with the weather coming through over the next week or so.

I've gone through the past few months worth of posts and 12 of us have finished tillering .  I think Swamp Thang and Dakota Kid have done, but I'm not sure.  Last report from PatM hewas waiting for the sinew to finish curing; how's that going Pat?  Red Arrow had a lever bow roughed out but no update for a while. You OK Ron?

Offline PatM

Cured enough and started flexing things. I'll try to figure out this picture thing or maybe email them to someone with that savvy.