Author Topic: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, Pictures Please, housekeeping issues  (Read 149524 times)

Offline bushboy

Maybe a dumb question ,but is Fred Arnold still around?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Not a dumb question, but, this is a memorial trade, Fred passed last winter

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
Here's a few pics of my finished bow. I named it "Lee", for lake erie elm. It just happens to be my wife's name as well so I got some bonus points with her too. It will be shipped on Monday.

It still needs a handle. I have a piece of beaver tail left I'm hoping will fit. If not, I have some regular leather to throw on there.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline DuBois

Dang Mike, that is really beautiful!

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
Thanks Marco. Those "skins" are actually vinyl graphics I printed at work. I dyed the elm with the same stuff I used on my traps. It was staghorn sumac berries that I boiled with the traps. The iron in the traps turns the mix jet black. If you don't add the iron you can add sugar instead and drink it. It tastes like pink lemonade.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline upstatenybowyer

That's a stunning bow. The receiver will be stoked. Nice work!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Really looks nice Dakota. The Vinyl skins look great from here. It looks like they laid down nice on that snaky bow. Did you bend it around the curves? Is this the first time you tried it. Did you put a finish over it? Could be on to something there kid.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
I did bend it around the curves. The vinyl I used is the same one we use on full vehicle wraps. It will bend an unbelievable amount with a little heat. I had tried an adhesive backed canvass material we use first but it didn't like the curves. I would work fine on a straight stave or a board though. I did apply a finish, multiple coats of tru-oil. This was the first time I tried it, but I had it on pretty good hunch that most of the imitation snake skin backings available are made this way. I'd like to take credit for the idea, but truth be told I just figured out the secret to someone else's good idea. The only hard part is finding high resolution images of long straight snake skin patterns. The one I used for that bow is actually a pretty low resolution. A real close inspection would probably reveal that it wasn't a real skin, but it was good enough that it wasn't obvious at first glance. 
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Jobby

How do bow trades work?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Like a secret-santa  gift  exchange, each participant knows who they are sending to but they don't know who is sending to them. Everyone builds the best bow they can but some builders are expert and some are novices and some are in between.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Hi guys, I have some bows listed as being in transit a while now, and some of you hoping to have shipped early this week. If you have received or shipped a bow don't forget to let me know so I can update the status page. Thanks

Offline PatM

Got  a beautiful Yew longbow from WG on Monday.

Offline bushboy

Been trying to ship,new staff at the store don't know how to do the international thing.the owner is in tomorrow so with any luck my vice will go out thurs.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Got  a beautiful Yew longbow from WG on Monday.
Thanks Pat, email me some photos when you get chance?

Thanks for the update Busboy.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
My bow shipped out yesterday. It's going ground so it may take 5-7 days to arrive, but it's in transit.
~Terrance McKenna