Author Topic: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, Pictures Please, housekeeping issues  (Read 150573 times)

Offline bushboy

Mark me as shipped pls,prob take a week to get there.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
According to FedEx my package should reach it's destination by the end of today. Someone should be getting a 72" long tube any time now. Be on the lookout if you've yet to receive.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Swamp Thang

Wife's gonna ship for me tomorrow. Been kinda crazy found mold from the tropical storm been getting walls and floor and now I have a hernia. :-\  so the arrows I planned to make didn't get done.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
I had one of them (hernia), ignored it for a couple of years until it couldn't be ignored any longer; surgeon said it was touch and go on whether it was fixable, don't do what I did!

Congrats on finishing the bow.  :D  I hope there are no more nasty surprises following that storm.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Six bows in transit, gonna be an exciting week!!

Offline Swamp Thang

Soooo wife's running to the post office I threw in several 6ft river cane shafts a leg of sinew a few turkey feathers dyed black and a lump of unrefined pine sap.

Offline gfugal

Just an update sinew is drying wonderfully. It's hard and smooth. I've been measuring the tension in reverse brace with a tuner. 7 days after sinewing it tuned to a B 20 cents sharp. It dropped down to an Ab 20ish cents flat several days later. I moved it up a notch to put more tension in it again since it was pretty limp and the tuner was having a hard time picking it up. After tightening it, it went up to a C 40 cents sharp. Now it's at a B 10 cents sharp. So basically there is less tension in the reverse brace now than there was a notch lower when I Initially measured it one week into drying. I think I finished sinewing around the 10th but I'm not sure. I should be coming up on a month of drying soon. The tension has been decreasing less and less. Once I feel it starts to plateau I think I'll put it in a small room with a space heater (make shift low temp hot box) and leave it there with the heater on and off for a couple of days to really dry it out, then I'll finish tillering.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 06:48:14 pm by gfugal »
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Swamp Thang

∆ WOW that just opened my mind up to New ideas about applying sinew.

Offline gfugal

Thanks swamp thing! I hope it's a good way of going about things. Bytheway your bow is looking sweet. I like the handle and how you inscripted it!
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Swamp Thang

Thanks it's my first successful bow I've really made put everything into I had hope it's enjoyed

Offline Gaur

Mark me as shipped
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline bushboy

Just did some tracking,cleared customs,look for the made in Canada pipe!sorry it's a backed bow,but I like the way it shoots!#1 for me!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

After a couple of near misses in the woods at the same doe. In one case VERY near, as in less than 5 yards near. I came home to a new toy to play with. Thanks Swamp Thang! A nice cypress bow I'll have to play with while boiling some traps in te morning. And thanks for the extras! It should be a good starter kit to get me playing with some atlatles. I should be able to make some good darts from the shafts. Sorry about the lack of pictures, I'll get them tomorrow while I play.
As soon as I got the initial unpackaging and fondling out today the way. I started getting out of my hunting clothes, and my knife decided to make a break for it and bounced tip first off of my middle toe. I think I can say I had it pretty sharp as it cleanly sliced the nail after the tip hit the bone about 1/4" behind the nail. I'm glad it didn't split my toe out the tip. It stopped cutting right at the end of the nail. So it definitely could've been worse, though I think the bone has a new indention now.

I'll get some more pics tomorrow, for now you'll have to settle for a bloody toe
Kyle

Offline hunterbob

Evidently the bow must be ready to make blood it through that knife at your toe.

Offline Swamp Thang

Goodness! Hope you enjoy starting another two right now a Days bow and haven't decided on the other