Author Topic: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, Pictures Please, housekeeping issues  (Read 149779 times)

Offline gfugal

Re: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, progress and chat
« Reply #795 on: December 02, 2017, 12:49:16 pm »
I was so proud of what I had going...

47 lbs at full draw of 27 inches measured from the belly

This is the tiller at 22 inches, the bottom limb (pictured right) is slightly stiffer, but I heard you want the top limb slightly weaker anyway, so I left it as is.

So despite my best efforts it still got a lot of set. It was naturally deflexed to begin with so not all you see is set, but I would say a good inch of it is. It's currently sitting 1.5 inches below parallel. I did the no set tillering method, but I'm guessing my design was just too far off from the get-go. Every time I noticed any weight decrease I would stop and take some more wood off and try again. However, I noticed a decrease about 5-6 times throughout the process. Although I didn't pull past that point when I noticed a decrease, the cumulative effect of noticing those decreases led to about an inch of set. I should have been more precautious and removed a liberal amount of wood and aimed for a lower weight such as 40 lbs. I just thought it should be able to handle it since it was nearly 2 inches wide and more than 2 x the draw length. Despite this I thought i was well within the limits of the bow since many bows are made with more than 1" of set, I was surprised what happened next...

right after the full draw picture was taking, like literally one second, I heard a crack that scared the crap out of me. It didn't break, but I could tell something was off. after searching up and down the limbs I found this. You can tell this one spot has stressed the sinew more than any other spot. My guess is that the back splintered up but the sinew kept it intact.

you can see the bottom limb (now pictured left, sorry about that) is weaker when it was stronger before, and you can tell even in brace profile.

I decided to test it out to see if it was really done for. Here it's 18 inches. and the bottom limb (now pictured right, sorry I wasn't consistent) is considerably weaker when it was strong before. You can probably tell but the issue is around the 4th tile to the right where it is in the shade. surprisingly it doesn't look that much like a hing. But when I tested the weight, it had lost 3 lbs instantly and was loosing more each time I drew it so I stopped. If I took it to full draw now I'm pretty certain it would break. I'm not sure what to do at this point... I could try to fix it with flax, sisal, linen or something, but would it be worth it since the end product, if it did work, would probably be below 40 lbs with more set then it had before? I could try to make a new bow but I don't know how much I could get done in December, it would most likely take a couple of months and I already feel bad for being this late. Or, sadly, I could resign and have upstate get a reserve bow. But I was looking forward to getting one myself, but I understand that if I can't produce then I probably shouldn't receive. I was afraid something like this was going to happen. It was the worse feeling in the world  :'(. I had put more work into that one bow than any other I made. I cut down the tree (and cut myself mind you), it was my first spliced billet, it was my first siyahs with string bridges, and would have been my first real successful bow that hasn't stacked with a butt load of set. Oh well, what can you do? This is the worst part of bow-making. Let me know what you guys think I should do. 

« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 12:56:14 pm by gfugal »
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #796 on: December 02, 2017, 06:05:59 pm »
Hey my friend, please don't stress about this. Bow making is supposed to be a release from care, boredom and worry. 

I really am okay with not receiving a bow. You gave it your best shot, and if anyone understands how these things can happen it's me. I've had plenty of bows fail, and try to see each as a learning experience.

What would really make me happy would be knowing that you are enjoying the holidays with your family and friends and not letting this minor setback get you down.

You're a good man gfugal.  ;)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline gfugal

« Reply #797 on: December 02, 2017, 06:36:31 pm »
Hey my friend, please don't stress about this. Bow making is supposed to be a release from care, boredom and worry. 

I really am okay with not receiving a bow. You gave it your best shot, and if anyone understands how these things can happen it's me. I've had plenty of bows fail, and try to see each as a learning experience.

What would really make me happy would be knowing that you are enjoying the holidays with your family and friends and not letting this minor setback get you down.

You're a good man gfugal.  ;)
Thanks man! that makes me feel better. You'll get a bow from me someday that's for sure it just might not be for this trade, depends on what Stuck and PatM think should happen too. I would like to spend more of my free time with family this month like you said, thank you for that. This is a good opportunity to update yall on other things that have happened this fall which made me behind schedule. Trust me more good happened this month then the bad of this setback. My baby girl is doing well and is nice and healthy and is just starting to squawk and smile. I love being a dad. I also got accepted to three different grad schools for Physical Therapy. One in Michigan, one here in Utah, and on in Las Vegas area. I'm super relieved about that since Physical Therapy is super competitive and only accept the top 10% of applicants. Now I have to make a choice. So not all is lost  :)

Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #798 on: December 03, 2017, 03:07:25 am »
The kindness and generosity of the guys on this forum never ceases to humble me.  Everyone has seen how hard you've worked and Christmas is not for making bows.  Family always comes first, enjoy yours.  I'm sure you'll send a bow to Upsatate when time and commitments allow, and I feel you have done more than enough to justify receiving yours from Pat.   

On a side note, I'm a little disappointed that not everyone that received a bow has posted a 'thankyou' photo, come on guys fair's fair, lets see a cool gallery set ;)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 10:15:58 am by stuckinthemud »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Congrats to ya Kyle!
I'm wanting to see some pics.

I'm also curious where that bow Dakota Kid made is now??

Maybe I just missed it but I was wondering the same thing.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #800 on: December 03, 2017, 10:18:53 am »
Anyone who can't post photos email them to me and I'll post them. I'd love to see Upstate's bow, wizards bow and the matching set guar made, amongst others..

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #801 on: December 03, 2017, 10:20:12 am »
I don't know for sure if DKs bow has been picked up yet

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, Pictures Please, housekeeping issues
« Reply #802 on: December 04, 2017, 07:18:24 am »
House-Keeping
OK, so, please imagine me with a smile on my face, or this post might seem cross and I'm not.

Even though two bows are still in-build, all involved know what's going on and it all seems to be under control.  I am going to try to sign-off as admin for this trade at the end of December as I am looking to run a Trade in 2018 starting at Easter, unless someone else steps up, and I'd like a couple of months break.  This Trade has been brilliant fun but before I step back a little bit, there are some issues still left to sort out.  One of the bows snapped a tip overlay, presumably due to damage in transit.  Hopefully the two guys involved in that trade have sorted out a new overlay?  This is the only issue I know of, apart from one bow that seems a bit delayed in transit - hopefully it will turn up soon!. If there are any problems you need me to assist with let me know as soon as possible.

Photos
I've checked back and I think there is one 'thank you' photo on the thread, and ten finished tiller photos, that means we've all missed out on seeing lots of really lovely bows.  Please, can I ask that everyone post a picture of their bow, I'd really love to cap off this brilliant Trade with a fabulous gallery of finished bows.

Finally, thanks to everyone who has contributed and made my first Trade as Admin a really special experience.  Thanks Everyone.
Andrew

« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 07:54:20 am by stuckinthemud »

Offline bushboy

« Reply #803 on: December 04, 2017, 01:17:59 pm »
Yeah,broken tip was for greenriverwoodcraft that I made,i used English bog oak that was at least 5000 years old,kinda got blinded by the cool factor,thought it would hold up,but in hindsight I should have redone the tips cause they where a bit suspect!alas I will get some photo's of gaurs offering up soon,no excuses,my photo gal is working tons of hours!a piece of ebony is on the way grwc
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #804 on: December 05, 2017, 02:49:45 am »
Thanks for sorting that out, I'm manfully struggling to resist a whole list of jibes about English sporting equipment not holding up under pressure with what's going on in the Rugby and Cricket at the moment but then they'll be playing us soon in the Six Nations rugby championship so I'd probably best stay quiet  >:D

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #805 on: March 01, 2018, 06:07:19 pm »
Got this marvelous beauty in along with some ocean spray shoots and a. Stave. Storng quick and a great example of honing a craft.

More pics to come.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #806 on: March 01, 2018, 07:22:20 pm »
Glad you like it Tristan! Can't wait to see what you make outa' that yew. This trade was lots of fun. Thanks to all who participated, and to Andrew for putting it on.  Cheers- Brendan

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #807 on: March 02, 2018, 11:10:07 am »
That's a great looking bow Tristan!

Brendan, I hope your bow is serving you well. I sure would like to see a picture of you with it (hint, hint).
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #808 on: March 02, 2018, 11:38:01 am »
It was my pleasure, I just hope that everyone is OK with their outcomes, especially with some of the guys having worked exceptionally hard and got so little to show for it (yet?).  Its kinda getting close to having to think about a 2018 Trade, I'm going to wait till Easter to see if anyone steps up before I maybe throw my hat in the ring.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #809 on: March 02, 2018, 01:12:11 pm »
 Sorry gaur that I havn't posted!i hurt my shoulder badly a
T work and havn't been able to draw a bow for quite some time.

Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.