Author Topic: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, Pictures Please, housekeeping issues  (Read 150647 times)

Offline DuBois

Re: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, progress updates, questions and chat
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2017, 07:23:06 pm »
Looking forward to this one!

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2017, 07:31:39 pm »
I'm debating between a short black locust bendy handle recurve with short sharp hooks, a blackwalnut flatbow, probably a deflex/reflex. or a black cherry elb. this one wouldn't be warbow weight, so should hold up fine. I've got plenty of time to decide before digging in. Anyone have opinions on what they would prefer to see? I might end up making a couple of the choices and keep one for myself.

Kyle

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2017, 09:36:22 pm »
Sooo. Be gentle this was my first time making a bow that's not a D bow.
 I know the limbs aren't perfect I just wanted to take the cypress on a test run. Some how the limbs slightly face diff ways  ::)  but shooting it I am actually impressed with how forgiving I've shot different grain arrows and they all find their mark. I'll be adding sinew to the one for the trade what could I have done to perfect the tiller?

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2017, 09:44:18 pm »
Haha other than making sure the limbs face the same way!!!!

Offline gfugal

« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2017, 10:02:06 pm »
So do we let whoever we have know or will is it all supossed to be a surprise.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2017, 10:07:02 pm »
Surprise

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2017, 10:07:31 pm »
Think white elephant.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2017, 10:16:45 pm »
Hey Swampie, hard to say for sure but it looks like maybe the upper fade and mid to outer limb and lower outer third of limb could bend a little more. Very unrefined guess though with one pic and not being there in person. It might be perfect depending on what it looks like unbrced and braced. Limb twist just happens-no big deal.

Yep, secret santa in spring kinda thing. SHHH

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2017, 10:18:05 pm »
Everyone has some fun idea.
Kyle, don't seem to see a lot of black walnut bows, that would be pretty cool see.

Eric

Eric

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2017, 10:21:21 pm »
Swamp, I agree with Dubois. Have you reached your desired draw and weight?

Eric
Eric

Offline Limbwalker

« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2017, 10:49:40 pm »
Hey guys, MoCoonCatcher, I think you have a good thought. To have a few bows going and taking your time. That's what I'm doing. I like all your ideas and if you just go with it they will improve and morph into whatever it's supposed to be. Make your Cherry bow, if you feel it needs something else we have plenty of time to craft something unique to our individual brains.

I have five staves that are for this trade, as I work each one I am going to weed out a couple and finish a couple, in case one breaks or something. So far I am whittling down Hackberry, Norway Maple, Osage, Mulberry and Black Locust. Each of these staves are very nice and the wood is in excellent condition. I like a little character, but I'm shooting for durability, efficiency and accuracy. Nothing too fancy. Flip the tips maybe some deflex, that's about it. No fancy five curves for me. Though I will also be focused on a flowing design, I don't like ridged designs that much.

I have some ideas that I'm holding out on talking about for a bit. I'm not cutting in any arrow shelfs, I will bump out the wrap a little though. If it suits the performance. Oh make that six staves I forgot I also have an Eastern Redbud in the works, that's some nice looking wood there. Hope it holds up. Those are my thoughts at the moment, some of my designs include backings not all. Tomorrow I will post pictures of the staves. I wish everyone the best and hope people take time and it's ok to screw a few up before sending one out. I would hesitate to send the first bow I finish and regret it two months later when I improve my design and skill. Take a little time to sharpen your skills. I need to, I'm no pro at this and might asking you guys for help. Be well

Offline DuBois

« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2017, 11:37:57 pm »
Kyle, man I though you was a back up? Look at ya getting after it. Right on! And I agree with Eric, Black walnut would be sweet.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2017, 12:58:13 am »
Hey Swampie, hard to say for sure but it looks like maybe the upper fade and mid to outer limb and lower outer third of limb could bend a little more. Very unrefined guess though with one pic and not being there in person. It might be perfect depending on what it looks like unbrced and braced. Limb twist just happens-no big deal.

Yep, secret santa in spring kinda thing. SHHH

It's so hard to say because the twist...however I'll take twist with the snappy and soft release it has.

I plan one taking the whole time on my next three bows

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2017, 08:40:08 am »
Originally I was, but my doctor said I'll be back toy normal self by June/July. If by earlier. So I've got plenty of time to get a nice bow shooting and dolled up. So I'm in the trade. I'm excited to be able to get started and to see what people start turning out.

Kyle

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2017, 09:50:07 am »
So I'm thinking a self bow of yew, oceanspray, plum, hazel or juniper. Probably an elb design, maybe a d bow. I have lots of dry staves/ roughed out bows to choose from. Let me know what you guys think. Cheers- Brendan