Author Topic: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, Pictures Please, housekeeping issues  (Read 147867 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, progress updates, questions and chat
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 06:06:04 pm »
From my understanding a bamboo backing allows you to flatten the back. From a mechanical properties standpoint boo is more similar to sinew than most woods or even any backings for that matter.  I've read de-crowning and boo backing often go hand in hand. I've never done it so consider this semi-reliable hearsay at best.

Boo is LESS like sinew from a mechanical properties standpoint.

The double backing idea shows some lack of understanding of how a stack of laminates work. Whatever goes on last cancels out what's underneath unless you're just talking about cosmetic stuff.
I was hoping to 8n crease the poundage by a little bit. I know sinew would but I imagine boo would do more....what if I added sinew in with the glue then clamped on the boo?

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 07:04:02 pm »
Haha never mind to all the above outta my league gonna just have to be a 30lb bow

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 11:07:12 pm »
Swamp, I don't see that bow being a candidate for bamboo backing, not with those knots. I'd say maybe pike it an inch or two, and see what happens. Do you have it bending already, and how far? You have a pic at draw?

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 04:39:16 am »
Nothing wrong with a 30 pounder, but a thorough heat treat will add between 3 and 5 pounds and improve cast at the same time

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 11:41:33 am »
It pulls to 30 with 1" of set so maybe pike it 2" and inch on each end huh?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 12:11:11 pm »
One inch off each end? Would that give you a 64" bow? I guess weight would be mid 30s, somewhere about 40 if you heat treat it, with a max draw length about 29" if the knots can take it

Offline Greenriverwoodcraft

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 10:12:27 pm »
I like the rules as you have written them.  Can't wait to get my name and get started

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2017, 01:25:21 am »
Pat, perhaps I've been misinformed or at the very least misinterpreted what I read . What backing would be a better choice for trying to mimic the effect of sinew? In this particular case the added draw weight was the top concern. Someone around here(who exactly it was slips my mind at the moment) had decent results adding flax fibers with hide glue. That might be a closer match I would think.

As far as the knots go, as long as the swirl in the grain was surrounded by straight grain(no run out)  it could be de-crowned and backed, right? Or would it still have a failure in it's future?

See, I'm already learning stuff and the sign ups aren't even finished.

I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2017, 07:06:42 am »
Dakota, there really isn't anything out there that will act like sinew. Flax backings are great, but won't do the same thing sinew will. Flax won't shrink as it dries, thus won't induce any reflex. In this case, I think your best best to add draw weight is by piking it.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline DuBois

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2017, 08:16:35 am »
Hey S thing, I agree that that stave would not lend itself to any backing other than sinew very well, and that might not be a good option if left long due to physical weight of sinew. Silk of rawhide could help keep it together but may be hard to do due to lumpy back and needing to keep air bubbleles out frum under backing material. I'd leave it alone or pike it a little.

what kind of wood is that?

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2017, 09:08:04 am »
Pecan a tree fell over and this branch was growing straight up. I doubted it would make a decent bow. It proved me wrong I just need to pike it and lighten the tips. Question the knots aren't very big could I fill them with glue and wood dust from the bow and fill it.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2017, 09:09:27 am »
Oops.....and then sinew on top of it?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2017, 03:20:37 am »
In case you miss the post on the sign up thread, you need to know that someone who wishes to remain anonymous has contacted one of the trade members to offer some incentives to be drawn every now and then. I don't know who and I don't know what but their kindness is a little overwhelming. So huge thanks to whoever you are for your kindness and generosity!

Offline DuBois

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2017, 10:36:54 am »
Swamp, Is the bark still on that?
I did once decrown an erc and then drilled out some knots on the back, filled with dust and glue and also had dry sinew sticking out from the glue mix in little spider patterns that I figured would create a little bridge instead of a void in the back. I let em dry real good for a few days and then I glued them down just before applying the sinew backing. Bow is still lookin good today.

Very generous gesture. thanks to whoever you are!

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2017, 10:58:11 am »
Haha it's on some of it been quite a pain to remove....and interesting I think I am going to try that.