Author Topic: Should I buy this Osage board?  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Whiskeyjet

Should I buy this Osage board?
« on: February 24, 2017, 11:27:22 am »
Here is an Osage board for sale at a woodcraft store. Fully 1x4x72.5.  It is very straight, I would try to resaw it into 4-6 blanks.  Any bows would of course be backed, either bamboo or hickory I'm thinking.  Should the pin knots or the grain dissuade me from buying this or should I just go for it since it's just lumber anyway?

On the wide shots, it's the piece in front of the bubinga.  I darkened the exposure to make the grain and knots more visible.

Thanks!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Should I buy this Osage board?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 11:30:04 am »
For what purpose? Knots and board bows don't mix well generally. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline gfugal

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 11:33:49 am »
I say go for it. If it doesn't work, at least you learned from it. I figure the pins in stuff could work if you're backing it with another good piece of wood. maybe if its right on the side it could be a big problem, but I'm no expert when it comes to knots, pins or wood backing so take what I say with a grain of salt. Plus I've never worked with osage.

If you got it are you saying you would cut it into 4 or maybe even 6 billets? that seems like an awful lot to me. I would just do two so I had plenty of material, maybe 3 max.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 11:35:11 am »
I'd look for a better piece. Too many knots and too much grain swirl.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 11:38:07 am »
Depends on who you ask. I wouldn't use it and I won't use swirly grained boards........still.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 02:15:08 pm »
Pass on that board. Swirls and knots ain't good on lam bows, these flaws will always fail eventually. Always look for only the very best boards for lam bows.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 02:45:04 pm »
It looked like it wood make for some pretty riser wood with he swirls and knots, if nothin else. Maybe even some handles, buttons, and other whats-it's.

Kyle

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 05:37:49 pm »
I would not likely use it for bows - due to the aforementioned knots, swirls and grain run-outs - but I'd certainly need to see the end of the stock to make a choice.  If it is well cut Quartersawn wood, (which it does not appear to be), then it might be useful as a board for an edge grain bow.  However - like kyle said, it would be useful for lots of other stuff!  I have used a lot of sketchy Osage to make camp spoons, canoe paddles, hand drum rings, and one pitiful attempt at a wooden flute.  I have a buddy that turns pens and such out of some of my off-cuts.  He tells me that the Osage I've given him makes wonderful turning wood. 

OneBow

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 09:23:24 pm »
Definately buy that ... as long as you have another use for it.

Make a nice broadhead box, some chisel handles, new scales for your 1911 .45acp, a seat for a new shop stool, or any other cool non-bow use.

Too swirly, and knotty to be worth wasting a nice backing on.

I've heard argentine Osage is good material and as I understand it you can buy boards online and it tends to be better grained than American Osage.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 11:27:20 pm »
Sounds not hopeful! Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 11:51:40 pm »
Only way it might work is if you put it under the dreaded fg.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Whiskeyjet

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 04:23:45 pm »
Thanks for the advice one and all I did NOT buy it :D