Author Topic: Canvas hunting cloak, wax or grease  (Read 2687 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Canvas hunting cloak, wax or grease
« on: February 24, 2017, 03:32:42 pm »
I'm debating making a wind and rain blocking cloak. I'm thinking about an outer shell of canvas and line it with light wool to warm it up and make it a bit more comfortable. I've been debating on if the canvas should be waxed or greased. I'm thinking rendered deer grease since it'll stay softer and probably more quiet when cold. Then again the canvas might be too noisy anyway. But I feel like with how little the cloak would move it wouldn't be too noisy when sitting on stand. Jut a little movement to get it over my shoulders when ready for a shot. Itll probably be made to be knee length. Think it's worth the effort? I've been wanting a hunting cloak for a while and think tgis might be a good time to make one. And keep me occupied.

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline EdwardS

Re: Canvas hunting cloak, wax or grease
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 03:55:42 pm »
I think the period reply is linseed oil, but I'm not sure.  Oilcloth is what you'd want for weather resistance, and I know it's made with linseed oil, but I think it's straight oil and not the boiled stuff I have for woodworking.  Searching for how oilcloth is made should give you all the info you need.

I need to finish my hunting frock, now that you mention it.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 05:39:15 pm »
That oil cloth is exactly what I'm after. What I came across was a 50/50 mix of mineral spirits and boiled linseed. The mineral spirits get a little better penetration and even spreading. And makes the linseed oil dry. Atleast that's what one article stated. And it sounded reasonable to me. I think I'll give that a try. I think I'll make the cloak, dye a breakup camo pattern, then coat it in the oil mixture knce the dye is set.

Kyle

Offline ksnow

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 09:57:20 pm »
Be careful around flame with true oilcloth, it ignites readily. It is also very stiff in the cold. For a cloak, I think a heavy, fulled wool would be a better option.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 08:35:28 am »
I know it won't help much with the stiffness. But I wonder if sandwiching the oil cloth between thin layers of wool would help deaden the noise of moving in the oilcloth while still having the oil cloth layer to fully block the wind and rain. Those are the two main aspects I want it for. Or I can make two cloaks. One of oil cloth for the rainy windy days that I can fold up and put in my pack when not using. And then if I like it make a heavy warm wool one for the bitter cold days. But I'll also have many layers on underneath depending on the weather. Most of my big game hunting is done on the ground leaning against trees and not so much stalking. So a little stiffness isn't such a big deal to me as long as I can slip my arms out to comfortably get a shot off and keep me comfortable in the wind and rain, I can take the cold without those other two elements letting the cold bite deep.

Kyle

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 08:25:55 pm »
cloak or maybe more of a cape?  quality wool sheds what water gets by the cape'

I heard years ago that fishermen preferred swan grease over goose grease for oilskins back in the day.