Author Topic: First take-down in progress  (Read 2441 times)

Offline Tracker0721

First take-down in progress
« on: February 24, 2017, 11:53:08 pm »
My first night chasing rings on the billets and this knot has given me a new respect for holey bows. Took me forever and my wood carving chisels to chase this ring! Marking it out tomorrow afternoon and fitting the handle. Hopefully.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Hrothgar

Re: First take-down in progress
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 06:01:14 am »
Looks good so far. Knots can seem very intimidating but with patience and persistence most are doable.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 10:11:22 pm »
Made a bunch of progress today! Fit the sleeves, got it shaped, floor tillered, and on to real tiller. Where I'm at now I'll turn to heat to straight the twists out and put some reflex in. About 4" of reflex is what I want.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 10:23:56 pm »
Looking good. Ease off on the fade area until you get more limb bending.  Also, get those limb edges rounded off before you bend the limbs too much. Rounded edges are less likely to lift a splinter.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 03:06:57 am »
yes good progress :)
when did those checks turn up on the end of the billet? Any further drying of the wood can cause the sleeves to come loose. My first takedown years ago ended up suffering this problem. I thought the wood was dry enough but after a couple of years sitting in house (drying further) the fit cam loose. It doesn't take much further drying so now I get staves down to 8% before fitting sleeves.

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 06:27:08 am »
It looks like it's coming along good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 07:20:13 am »
Starting to look like a bow. Good progress that set of billets looks like it's got potential to make a nice bow.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 09:01:05 am »
Nice job chasing that ring around the knot

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 11:12:28 pm »
Adding some reflex! When should I fill these with super glue? Sap cracks or something right?

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 11:10:49 pm »
Now to make this bow a proper string. Think I'm a bit past brace now. She's holding her form amazingly well. Taking 20 or more pulls per inch I draw back. Was 35# when I snapped that picture so I'm going to need to take some off fore sure.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 04:36:51 am »
Looking good, nice job on chasing that knot hole.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good