Author Topic: Always wanted one of these.  (Read 2745 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Always wanted one of these.
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 07:20:20 am »
Thanks Stick, always been kinda "Jack of all trades, Master of none" type guy. Always fun playing with new toys.
Bjrogg
Stix, it is fun. Really is amazing how little material you have to put on for effect. It's really easy to get everything to dark.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 07:24:26 am »
That's very nice, BJ. My friend was doing it for a living for awhile and he did a copperhead skin on one of my bows. I found that using an onion bag made pretty realistic scales.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 07:30:42 am »
Thanks Eddie. I know there are you tube videos I'll probably check out when I get more time. I was thinking about onion sack. I'm thinking put black on the whole back first then maybe some truoil to keep it there. Then onion sack and color. I got some other ideas rolling around in my grey cells to.
Bjrogg

Offline Morgan

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 09:24:10 am »
I never woulda thought of air brushing a bow! You sprayed stain? Reckon alcohol based dye would work too?

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 09:26:17 am »
Very cool!

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 10:19:43 am »
Yes, the stone points look really good. Now you are ready for a little taxidermy fun.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 11:19:21 am »
Hey, that is cool as heck.  i like how the "semi-lucent" stain works vs paint.

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2017, 11:29:31 am »
I saw a video where they were imitating carbon fibre parts. You could make a "CarbonFibre" selfbow and really mess with peoples heads ;D

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 10:14:19 pm »
Morgan, Thanks yes I sprayed straight wood stain. I'm pretty sure you could spray alcohol based dye. I'm kinda curious about different colors and products.
Thanks Selfbow Joe
Sasquatch, taxidermy has always been on my bucket list too.
Thanks Springbuck, I like the stain to. It really is amazing how little material it takes to get the effects. As they say less is more.
DC I'm thinking just airbrushing on my "primitive bow" might already be to modern. Probably not ready for the carbon fiber look yet.lol.
Bjrogg

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2017, 11:30:57 am »
I saw a video where they were imitating carbon fibre parts. You could make a "CarbonFibre" selfbow and really mess with peoples heads ;D

I have a friend who was shooting in a primitive division that required wood arrows with self knocks, so he made up a set and then painted them to look just like carbons with bright plastic knocks just so the judge would come over and say "hey you can't shoot tho....oh", lol. He has a twisted sense of humor, must be why I like him, lol.

Offline DC

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2017, 11:57:36 am »
Morgan, Thanks yes I sprayed straight wood stain. I'm pretty sure you could spray alcohol based dye. I'm kinda curious about different colors and products.

Whatever you use it must be thin, have very fine particles and and be filtered very clean. If any of these are wrong you will spend more time cleaning the gun than spraying. Don'ask how I know. I have two of them in my bottom drawer that haven't seen the light of day since a month after I got them. Aside from the constantly cleaning them I just couldn't get the hang of it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 12:03:13 pm by DC »