Author Topic: d/r selfbow question updated  (Read 4682 times)

Offline bubby

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: r/d selfbow question
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 08:37:02 pm »
Ah, yes. I didn't think it was this one cause I was looking for "BBO." Thanks bubby.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 09:13:51 pm »
Nice starting point Jeff.Looking good.All done with dry heat?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 06:34:02 am »
Ah, yes. I didn't think it was this one cause I was looking for "BBO." Thanks bubby.  :)

You see how is tiller is even and round right up to where his reflex starts, that's key to low set. I see too many RD bows that get tillered to match somebody elses RD bow, and not the actual bow they are tillering. The result is a "V" shape tiller and a lot of set. If you want that classic "v" shape, you need a lot of early reflex in the limbs.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 07:50:25 am »
Got it. When I finally get around to tillering I'll have this thread and Ty's on hand for reference. This really helps PD, so thanks a bunch. Good luck with your current builds.  :)

Ed, yup... all done with the dry heat. It's all tillering from here on out. Wish me luck!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2017, 04:10:20 pm »
You see how is tiller is even and round right up to where his reflex starts, that's key to low set. I see too many RD bows that get tillered to match somebody elses RD bow, and not the actual bow they are tillering. The result is a "V" shape tiller and a lot of set. If you want that classic "v" shape, you need a lot of early reflex in the limbs.

Which is not fun at all to tiller  :-[  Although, someday I'll have to give it another shot, as those hybrid longbows with the triangular full draw look neat.

I was going to say that the profile looked a lot like mine.  If you don't mind, will you post progress pictures of how the tillering goes?  Even if the style is a challenge for you, the work you've been sharing has been getting better and better and it would be nice to see how it goes for you.  I'm sure you'll nail it!
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2017, 06:48:47 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement ty. I'll certainly post pics of the progress. It may be a little slower than you'd expect as I've got taps in my sugar maples, which means lots of evaporating in my spare time. This is probably a blessing actually cause it'll force me to take my time.  :)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 06:54:11 pm »
Don't be scared, you got this! 

The only thing even a little tricky here is that it's 64", which to me is on the short side. But, the starting profile is great, you have the width, and it's OSAGE for heck sakes.  You don't need the sinew.

Adding to what Pearl said, a LITTLE bend close to the fades translates out to a lot of tip movement.  Then a tad more bend in the middle 50%-ish of both limbs, but don't completely flatten it out.  Finally stiffer toward the tips.

Good luck.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2017, 07:52:05 pm »
Great input Springbuck. Thanks for reminding me about what Pearl said. Sounds like going slow and steady on the mids with plenty of exercise in between scrapings will be key.

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2017, 09:32:15 pm »
Good info Pearl . Logged in. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: r/d selfbow update
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2017, 07:25:49 pm »
Hi everyone. So I did some work on this bow today and I'd love your input, especially on the tiller. It's currently pulling 60# at 24" which means I've got 3 more inches to go to get to my target 27" draw length. If I can keep that 60# I'll be really happy.

It has lost a bit of it's reflex but the unbraced profile still looks pretty good. The braced pic is at about 6". My very accommodating wife took a progression of pics as I continued drawing the bow. The last one is at about 24".

Nigerian Proverb

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2017, 07:26:13 pm »
last 1

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Springbuck

Re: d/r selfbow question updated
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2017, 07:30:45 pm »
Hey, good to see it!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2017, 07:59:57 pm »
Looking good upstate . I thought the tips were a bit heavy but after second look at the reflex - deflex maybe not. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2017, 09:56:57 pm »
That's looking good so far. Looks like it could work a little more near the fades? Cheers- Brendan