Author Topic: Couple of firsts for me  (Read 7787 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Couple of firsts for me
« on: February 27, 2017, 06:38:40 am »
I've never made an osage pole bow nor have I made a sapwood backed osage bow. I did both on Saturday. The bow is 68" ntn and about 8-10# too heavy yet. I wanted to build up the grip with cork before I knocked off the rest of the weight so I could get my fades to work exactly where I want them to. It shot pretty good at 26", for its length.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Couple of firsts for me
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 06:39:50 am »
Also, I used rawhide for overlays, never done that either. I figured the sapwood might like a little buffer. One limb has about 90 degrees of twist and the other about 30 degrees. I left it as is, no heat whatsoever.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 06:41:39 am »
I'll slap up a few more pics as I get the grip done. My plans are to shape the cork, then make some rawhide lace. Soak the lace for 30 minutes and stretch it around the grip area. It should constrict very tightly in a day or so. That's the plan anywho.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 06:48:10 am »
You are lucky to find such a straight piece, I'm guessing it didn't take you long to whittle it down to bow dimensions. Looking good.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 07:05:57 am »
Nice to see you finding some new firsts Pearl. Gotta keep it interesting. Looks like your gonna end up almost all sapwood by the time you take a few more lbs off. Love the twist I'm sure that will give some others confidence in staves they wouldn't have used without seeing this one. I've got a couple twisty ones but none quite that much. Thanks for sharing
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 07:23:04 am »
 Looks good so far, I am wondering how the handshock will be. That seems to be the challenge on these types of bows.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 07:27:45 am »
Looking good Pearl .cant wait to see the finish. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 08:03:19 am »
Looks good so far, I am wondering how the handshock will be. That seems to be the challenge on these types of bows.

At 26" it was too jumpy for my tastes. I tweaked the bend a bit and that softened it up alot, I think I can get it a bit better yet. But still, it has some that will be there. I have no doubt about it.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 08:04:41 am »
You are lucky to find such a straight piece, I'm guessing it didn't take you long to whittle it down to bow dimensions. Looking good.

I told Clint at about 8:30 am I was going to make a one day pole bow from a stick he gave me, I was shooting it by noon or so. All hand tools on this one, too cold and windy to play with the saw in the drive way.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 08:13:42 am »
cool bow... it will be interesting to see how the sapwood does.  It looks like a fun project.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 08:48:23 am »
Nice work Pearly.  I cut a similar pole last week.  I need to try a sapwood bow like this.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 08:48:58 am »
Nice.  I've had a good looking osage branch like yours drying for a couple years now.   What was the starting diameter pearly? 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 08:49:35 am »
Maybe 2.5" round with bark on?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 08:53:32 am »
Those poles make good bows. I've made a few and was pleased with them all. Nice work so far Pearlie.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 09:34:08 am »
Sweet looking I have a poll stave from my last haul Im putting in a the some day pile looking foward to seeing this one !
If you fear failure you will never Try !