Author Topic: Sinew and curing?  (Read 1201 times)

Offline DuBois

Sinew and curing?
« on: March 05, 2017, 09:46:35 pm »
Has anyone had sinew split down the length of the limb during tillering? Haven't yet but just wondering.

I have wondered about the white streaks that appear in cured sinew and if it is too dry when they are there or if that is normal?

And, do you guys usually put your cover over sinew after final tillering or some other time in the whole process?

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Sinew and curing?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 09:58:05 pm »
I tried sinew and failed miserably. Not to discourage you at all. For some reason I could not make it work for me . That's why I go by Selfbowman.  ;D someone will be along soon to help you . Arvin
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 05:31:47 am by Selfbowman »
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 10:03:31 pm »
Has anyone had sinew split down the length of the limb during tillering? Haven't yet but just wondering.

I have wondered about the white streaks that appear in cured sinew and if it is too dry when they are there or if that is normal?

And, do you guys usually put your cover over sinew after final tillering or some other time in the whole process?

Your glue was probably a bit too dilute.

Also your limb width and thickness plus wood type will govern how much the matrix can shrink  widthwise without  "checking"

To some degree when sinew shrinks something else has to give a little.  Thin flat bows can cup a little towards the back.  Osage is said to want to split on the belly.  Lilac probably doesn't budge so the sinew pulls itself apart a bit instead.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 10:10:31 pm by PatM »

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 10:06:59 pm »
So white streaks is from not enough % of glue to make the matrix completely solid. I don't think it will split though will it?

Offline willie

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 10:19:02 pm »
white streaks that appear as it is drying?
or
white streaks that appear once it is drawn?

Offline DuBois

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 11:21:07 pm »
No changes from drawing. Just from drying.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 12:53:07 am »
Cover goes on after tillering and shooting in and tweaking too.I'd bet it won't change or split later.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 02:24:52 am »
Yes your glue is too dilute and you maybe dried it too quickly. It is important to leave sinew to dry slowly, initially at least.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 09:08:15 am »
So far no troubles with any of the earlier sinew jobs but I will try more knox in the next one.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 09:41:50 am »
Does anyone have a good ratio, by weight, to reconstitute appropriately thick glue? I think I heard 1:2 once, 1 part dry glue to 2 parts water but I can't remember now.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 11:58:17 am by gfugal »
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.