Author Topic: Couple of firsts for me  (Read 7592 times)

Offline Chippintuff

Re: Couple of firsts for me
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 10:03:46 am »
Dumb question here: Are you leaving the twist in it?

WA

Offline rps3

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 10:15:03 am »
Looks great. I love the look of sapwood backed osage. Those pole bows,at least for me, wanted to be heavy weight draws.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 10:15:35 am »
Yes, nothing will change now but the draw weight reduction. I've already shot a bunch at 26".
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 10:30:46 am »
Looks cool, got a hint of the ELB about it. Nice to leave that twist... we don' worry 'bout no steenking twist :laugh:
Good to do something new...
Del :)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 10:40:23 am »
Del I'm almost done with a yew ELB, so this one kind of piggy backed it and rolled into a semi ELB. I just wish I had more handle thickness.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 10:42:59 am »
Dumb question here: Are you leaving the twist in it?

WA

The only adjustment I make in these twisty type sticks, (as long as they aren't TOO crazy), is try to make sure the nocks are grooved extra deep so the loops don't tend to slip off as the bow straightens out during the draw.  Sometimes, my OCD kicks into overdrive and I grab the heat gun and pull it around to a more straight alignment just for the looks of the thing, ...but I've not really had an issue when I did not do so.

This should be a fun bow to shoot Pearly.  It looks good from here.

OneBow

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 10:47:34 am »
Nice pole bow, they do make fine bows, I have made a few but with the sap wood off and the really held their profile well after a lot of shooting, I think there is a lot to be said for small diameter Osage. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 11:18:08 am »
pappy I believe any species of wood is at its best as a sapling. They just seem more resilient to me.

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 12:03:59 pm »
pappy I believe any species of wood is at its best as a sapling. They just seem more resilient to me.

That's not only your belief, it's a scientific fact. The juvenile wood (the wood laid down close to the pith during the first few years of a sapling) has microfibril angles that are quite a bit steeper than in mature wood. This increased angle makes juvenile wood take compression better than mature wood. There's tons of scientific papers comparing the compression strength in juvenile versus mature wood, and all will tell the same for each species studied. (One nifty paper also related it specifically to archery and yew longbow design).

There's a biological reason for that: saplings are strained more by the elements (wind) than adult trees, and this is nature's answer to that extra strain.
My gut feeling tells me this is also true for branches of fruit trees such as apples, pears, peaches, plums etc, which need to carry tremendous loads. All these species make for excellent bows, by the way, and behave similarly to yew in tension and compression.

Joachim

Offline bubby

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 12:11:17 pm »
That's some good stuff pearlie, but i can't believe it took ya till noon to get it shooting, must of stopped for brunch😂
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2017, 03:02:15 pm »
Looking good, PD.
Good for you.
It's been years since I've done a 1 day bow.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 03:07:46 pm »
thats a nice bow,, its gonna calm down when you get it tillered out,, :)

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 03:13:32 pm »
Do you worry about the high crown on these poll bows? Seems to me like there would be an awful lot of tension concentrated along the center of the back.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2017, 04:20:12 pm »
It has a very high crown and a belly to match it, the high crown also results in more heartwood than it appears. At 69" I wont worry too much about it. Ive made a few HHB pole bows and they are fine. Most buckthorn bows Ive made had high crowns. I usually make the belly match the back radius.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 04:30:55 pm »
Pearl does that mean you hollow out the belly? Or do you crown it? I'm still pretty slow when it comes to this stuff but just seems like if you worry about a crowned back having to much tension you need to basically hollow the belly. Am I thinking right or is this wrong?
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise